I would like to stress the importance of using standard keyboard controls for the user interface. The whole Ctrl vs Cmd is already bad enough, I don’t like creative solutions to confuse even more. I’m pointing at using Space as a modifier. No one does it, and I think it’s a constraint everyone can and should live by.
I’m sure you’re aware of the principle of least astonishment? Space as modifier is a big surprise.
There are several standards for the use of modifiers, Adobe’s probably being the most common. I don’t mean that this is the exact standard to mimic, though. For example (something that would not surprise me much):
- wheel scrolls horizontally
- Ctrl+wheel zooms horizontally
- Alt+wheel scrolls vertically
- Ctrl+Alt+wheel zooms vertically
The logic is consequent: no modifier scrolls, Ctrl zooms, Alt means vertically.
- wheel on the voltage scale zooms vertically. Ctrl+wheel too.
- drag on the voltage scale moves vertically