Linux: window grows wider during connection to LA

Hello, I hope this is the appropriate place for a bug report!

When Logic 2 app window is opened, it has the same size and position on the screen as when it was last closed. Assuming that logic analyzer (LA) hardware is connected, the app then connects to the LA; when it is successful the app window expands in width. This is problematic when the windows was/is maximized, as it puts the right hand side of the window off the screen.

Attached screenshots show the application window as it starts up. The width has changed without me intentionally resizing it - the “Looking for devices…” one is 1977 wide, then it expands to 2052 when connected.

From Logic:

{“Environment”:“production”,“Branch”:“master”,“Commit”:“791c62768fb3ef662fe0503f116b0610a4bdd088”,“Version”:“2.4.6”,“AutomationVersion”:“1.0.0”,“MachineID”:“a4d84e88-6882-433f-9b3a-3c3992514910”,“PID”:365708,“LaunchId”:“f4f5a948-9283-437c-95d7-f6c0ddb58c59”}

From KDE:

Operating System: Kubuntu 22.04
KDE Plasma Version: 5.24.7
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.92.0
Qt Version: 5.15.3
Kernel Version: 5.15.0-58-generic (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: X11
Processors: 12 × Intel® Core™ i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz
Memory: 15.3 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: Mesa Intel® UHD Graphics 630

Usually, I run two 3840x2160 monitors, one on top of the other (using a laptop, with external monitor above the laptop display). But, this bug reproduces with just the builtin laptop monitor.

@Ian Sorry about this issue and thanks for bringing this up. We don’t officially support Kubuntu, however, let me run some tests to see if this might be reproducible on Ubuntu first (we validate and test our sw on Ubuntu). I’ll keep you updated.

1 Like

I can confirm this bug. I’ve reported it to you before. It’s been there basically the entirety of the Logic 2 app existence. I never realized that it happens when the hardware is connected to. If you have the hardware already plugged in before opening the app then it seems like it just plain opens too wide. I also use Kubuntu and I’m unsure if that is the reason or not. But, GNOME sucks… hard. I refuse to use that garbage. So, I’m hoping there is a fix that makes it work better on KDE. For now I just resize the app once it gets too large and thereafter it is fine.

@timreyes was able to reproduce it on vanilla Ubuntu - sort of. We see the window grow in width for a very short time, then shrink back to the original width, within a few frames. TBH I’m not sure what is causing this. We don’t see any visual glitch at all on Windows. There is likely some temporary combination of minimum widths in our application that cause the window to widen, but that does not explain why it would shrink on Ubuntu or why we don’t see the issue on other platforms.

I will get it on the bug backlog, but it may be a while before we get to it - sorry about that!