Linux 6.7.x

Dear support team,
I’m really enjoying my Logic 8 pro, however, since I switched to linux 6.7.8 kernel version, anytime I try to start a capture, I get the “ReadTimeout” even in 1MS/s. Switching back to linux 6.3.x, without touching wiring, and everything works like a charm up to 250MS/s.
I haven’t found any previous topic related. Hope I’m not mistaken.
Cheers;
topaz

@akatopaz Sorry to hear that. It sounds like the newer kernel version you are testing changes something with regards to USB communication. For quick reference, the cause of ReadTimeout errors is described below.

In short, the newer kernel version may be limiting USB throughput somehow.

What Linux distro are you using? We develop and test our software on Ubuntu 18.04.5+ (64-bit).

Hey Tim,
Thanks for reaching out.
My distro used to be an ubuntu. But I’ve switched to devuan (daedalus currently). It’s worth noting that everything works like a charm. Except when I switch to newer kernels.
I build them so that there are no deps.
If I read you correctly, I’ll have to wait for some times before I can switch kernel. That’s fine. At least I do have some hints.
Cheers

@akatopaz Thanks for describing your setup. Based on the information you’ve shared so far, the issue does seem to point to your newer Linux kernel, given that switching back to a previous version completely resolves the issue.

I’m not sure if devuan / daedalus has something to do with the error either. Again, with regards to Linux, we only test and validate our software on Ubuntu.

Would you mind sharing your machine ID with us? Perhaps we can take a look at your uploaded error logs in case that helps us look into this for you as a starting point.

@akatopaz thanks for reporting this. We focus our testing on Ubuntu LTS releases that are still in their support window, so at the moment that’s just Ubuntu 20.04 and 22.04. A quick google search shows that 22.04 shipped with kernel 5.15 but I haven’t double checked my install yet.

Ubuntu 24.04 is coming out next month, and it looks like it will ship with Kernel 6.6.

We’ll see if we can do some quick testing with the daily build live image before it ships to see if there are any obvious problems.

Also, if there is a live image you can direct us to that uses Kernel 6.7, we can give that a try too.

Unfortunately we can’t publicly commit to much more than that right now. We’re a tiny team (3 developers) so we need to pick our Linux related battles carefully, given the enormous surface area of the Linux ecosystem.

Lastly, in the past, USB issues like this can sometimes be a combination of a specific kernel version and a specific USB host controller. (Back in the early days of USB 3.0 and the 3.x kernel, we saw a LOT of problems that were specific to certain host controllers)

Can you send us which host controller(s) you have? lspci -k prints out everything, you can either send it all or filter it down to just the USB host controller(s).

Dear @timreyes and @markgarrison
Bulls eye @Tim, clearly Daedalus has nothing to do with the error, as it works out nicely with a kernel change.

No problem for me that you only test with ubuntu as their distro is pretty solid.

I’m afraid I’ve not dug into distro that have a cutting edge kernel with a live image, I just grabbed this one Galileo Neo with Kernel 6.7.1, Plasma offline and Calamares fixes – EndeavourOS which can possibly fill the job.

About the tests, here is my machine ID : 60a75586-3ef3-46c9-9644-d08fd46af186, I hope it does not changes with the kernel or version of the sw.

I’m also willing to test any release you might have, and/or provide you with a .deb of my own kernel builds (6.7.x), they are tailored for intel laptops, but should definitely rock on regular intel desktops.

Eventually, here is my lspci -k output:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Device a708 (rev 01)
        Subsystem: Lenovo Device 2314
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Raptor Lake-P [Iris Xe Graphics] (rev 04)
        Kernel driver in use: i915
        Kernel modules: i915
00:04.0 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Device a71d (rev 01)
        Kernel driver in use: proc_thermal_pci
        Kernel modules: processor_thermal_device_pci
00:06.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Device a74d (rev 01)
        Kernel driver in use: pcieport
00:07.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Device a76e (rev 01)
00:07.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Device a72f (rev 01)
00:08.0 System peripheral: Intel Corporation GNA Scoring Accelerator module (rev 01)
00:0a.0 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Device a77d (rev 01)
        Kernel driver in use: intel_vsec
        Kernel modules: intel_vsec
00:0d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Device a71e (rev 01)
        Kernel driver in use: xhci_hcd
        Kernel modules: xhci_pci
00:0d.2 USB controller: Intel Corporation Device a73e (rev 01)
        Kernel driver in use: thunderbolt
        Kernel modules: thunderbolt
00:0d.3 USB controller: Intel Corporation Device a76d (rev 01)
        Kernel driver in use: thunderbolt
        Kernel modules: thunderbolt
00:12.0 Serial controller: Intel Corporation Alder Lake-P Integrated Sensor Hub (rev 01)
        Kernel driver in use: intel_ish_ipc
        Kernel modules: intel_ish_ipc
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Alder Lake PCH USB 3.2 xHCI Host Controller (rev 01)
        Subsystem: Lenovo Alder Lake PCH USB 3.2 xHCI Host Controller
        Kernel driver in use: xhci_hcd
        Kernel modules: xhci_pci
00:14.2 RAM memory: Intel Corporation Alder Lake PCH Shared SRAM (rev 01)
        Subsystem: Lenovo Alder Lake PCH Shared SRAM
00:14.3 Network controller: Intel Corporation Device 51f1 (rev 01)
        Subsystem: Intel Corporation Device 0090
        Kernel driver in use: iwlwifi
        Kernel modules: iwlwifi
00:15.0 Serial bus controller: Intel Corporation Alder Lake PCH Serial IO I2C Controller #0 (rev 01)
        Subsystem: Lenovo Alder Lake PCH Serial IO I2C Controller
        Kernel driver in use: intel-lpss
        Kernel modules: intel_lpss_pci
00:15.1 Serial bus controller: Intel Corporation Alder Lake PCH Serial IO I2C Controller #1 (rev 01)
        Subsystem: Lenovo Alder Lake PCH Serial IO I2C Controller
        Kernel driver in use: intel-lpss
        Kernel modules: intel_lpss_pci
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Alder Lake PCH HECI Controller (rev 01)
        Subsystem: Lenovo Alder Lake PCH HECI Controller
        Kernel driver in use: mei_me
        Kernel modules: mei_me
00:16.3 Serial controller: Intel Corporation Alder Lake AMT SOL Redirection (rev 01)
        Kernel driver in use: serial
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Device 519d (rev 01)
00:1f.3 Audio device: Intel Corporation Device 51ca (rev 01)
        Kernel driver in use: sof-audio-pci-intel-tgl
        Kernel modules: snd_sof_pci_intel_tgl
00:1f.4 SMBus: Intel Corporation Alder Lake PCH-P SMBus Host Controller (rev 01)
        Subsystem: Lenovo Alder Lake PCH-P SMBus Host Controller
        Kernel driver in use: i801_smbus
        Kernel modules: i2c_i801
00:1f.5 Serial bus controller: Intel Corporation Alder Lake-P PCH SPI Controller (rev 01)
        Subsystem: Lenovo Alder Lake-P PCH SPI Controller
04:00.0 Non-Volatile memory controller: Samsung Electronics Co Ltd NVMe SSD Controller SM981/PM981/PM983
        Subsystem: Samsung Electronics Co Ltd SSD 970 EVO
        Kernel driver in use: nvme
        Kernel modules: nvme

Regards,

@akatopaz Thanks for the link to a Kernel 6.7 distro! We’ll test out Kernel 6.6 first (Ubuntu 24.04) as a validation step before that releases. Afterwards, we’ll look into the distro you provided. I’ll provide updates again here.