Is it possible to export the screen as picture?

Hi,

I would like to export the captured signals as an image. Is this possible or do I need extern tools?

thanks
Thomas

Good question. Unfortunately, we don’t have a built-in screenshot tool in the Logic 2 software. You would need to capture a screenshot of your waveform via external means. For example:

• In Windows, via [PrintScreen] key to copy it to the clipboard, or [Shift]-[Windows Key]-[S] to take a screenshot.
  • In MacOS, via [Cmd]-[Shift]-[S].

By the way, I don’t think anyone has posted a feature request for having a screenshot tool built-in to the app itself. If the above solutions aren’t ideal for you, feel free to create a new idea post below so we can start tracking need for this from other users!
https://ideas.saleae.com/b/feature-requests/

1 Like

For Windows, there is also the Snipping Tool.

When we were deciding what features needed to get moved from Logic 1 to Logic 2, I felt it was pretty hard to justify building another screenshot feature when each OS had such good options built-in. The main problem I thought was that no one knows all the advanced screenshot features of their OS.

We decided to add the native OS screenshot keys to our keyboard shortcuts list inside the app.

You can view all keyboard shortcuts inside of the app from the main menu → keyboard shortcuts.

Not much easier to find, unfortunately.

Would you mind describing what you’re taking screenshots for, and where you are pasting them? I can imagine a lot of features that might be nice for building reports, or keeping track of changes in a design, or tracking bugs. I’d love to learn more about what users are actually doing with screenshots.

1 Like

I use WINDOWS snip and paste into photoshop, and then invert to attain black waveforms on white… much easier to deal with in documentation.
(No need to mimic the old Tektronix and HP displays)
then export to PNG for use in documentation and (lab) notebook notes/PDFs.
With capturing MANY variations/experiments, it would be so much easier and quicker to have a keyboard shortcut to screenshot and go to the next capture.

Thanks @will. You bring up a good point about color inversion. Below is the idea post where we’re tracking that feature request. I’ll get your request logged as a comment.

An in-app screenshot tool also lends itself quite well to automation or macro commands (e.g. mass screenshot for multiple tabs in one command). I’ll bring these points up with our team here.

I’m late to the conversation and feel like I’m butting in, but I am also interested in this.

I use screen grabs of my Saleae to attach to bug tracking tickets, and wiki pages internal at work.
For bug tracking I obviously need the point of interest, and so only really want a good image of the signals, not the whole screen. Using the screen snip tool build into Windows or MacOS does an adequate job of this. I don’t rely on the .sal export as I cannot guarantee everyone involved will have Logi-2 installed, or know how to use it.

For wiki pages, it’s either to illustrate the protocol observed to someone, or a brief how-to on setting up/using a test bench where the Saleae is a tool we are using.

Right now I’m working on a “how to debug I2C” reference, and the PNG captures are ok, but not ideal. Re-sizing a PNG can leave jaggies and anti aliasing artefacts, so an SVG grab would be good to have. I am sure there are ways to get from CSV to SVG. I have in the past used Excel for CSV to graph, but I remember that was always quirky.

For wiki content the screen grab is fine, for a hard copy, that’s a lot of ink or toner, and does not always print as nicely. I didn’t even know to look for themes. That light theme works great, so thanks for that.

I appreciate this is an old thread. It answered my questions, and I hope I gave a little more insight into how your product is being used. I don’t think a response is needed to this comment.

Thanks.
Alex

1 Like

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the feedback!

Internally, we’re starting to come around on the screen grab decision. We haven’t come up with a plan for that yet. We’re thinking about it in the larger context of documentation & sharing.

Also, you’re right, the fact that we have a light theme is very hard to discover right now. We’re adding it to the first-run dialog soon, so at least new users will be presented with the option to select their theme the first time they use the app. I’d like to add a simple toggle button for this somewhere eventually too.

If you have any examples of other tools or documents were you really like digital or analog data is displayed, please send them our way!

1 Like