1.2.29 no longer supported

Sorry for the trouble everyone! When we started re-investing in the Logic 1.x software and started releasing the beta versions, we got really fired up about regularly releasing new versions of the application. One of the things we talked about internally (but never decided if we wanted to use) was to add a system that would allow us to later disable versions of the app, so that we could slowly push people into the latest versions of the software.

The system was never actually used (it’s controlled by a web endpoint) but, we added something I regret now - if the application isn’t able to connect to our web API, on launch, it would disable itself if the release was over 25 months old. In retrospect that was a pretty bad idea.

And of course the real problem was that a few months later, when we tried to add vertical zoom and pan to analog channels in the 1.x software, we decided it was time to transition to a completely new front-end, which later led to a complete rewrite of the entire app, which is now Logic 2.

Logic 2 does not have this “feature”, and we won’t be trying it again. Only the beta releases (after 1.2.18, up to and including 1.2.29) have this annoying feature. Very sorry about that! If you notice this problem while your computer is connected to the internet, please let us know!

We have uptime monitoring on that API to detect outages.

Our plan is to get the Logic 2 app out as the production application, eventually putting to rest the 1.2.29 Beta.

While I’m here, I’d like to understand what we’ll need to add to Logic 2 in order to make sure it’s a both a viable replacement to Logic 1.2.29 and that it’s at least as good or better for all of your uses. @alank2 @George @mathieu.dinel

So far from this thread I’m seeing the ability to load saved captures from the 1.x application, the broken Logic 16 IO voltage support, is there anything else? One of the big issues we’ve yet to address is the lack of an automation API in Logic 2. We’re also working on some UI performance issues in Logic 2, although the Logic 2 data processing pipeline is already dramatically faster than Logic 1.x.

The 1.2.18 production application did not contain the “sunset” feature, and is unaffected. Of course, that probably won’t help since save files were never backwards compatible.