Logic 2.4.2

Download Links

Windows - Linux - MacOS

Note - we’ve switched off auto-updates for this release, and it’s not available from our main download page, Logic analyzer software from Saleae. This is because the theme work contains thousands of UI changes, with a huge surface area to test. We’ve done about 7 rounds of review internally, but there might still be UI issues here and there, so we’ve decided to slowly release theme support and collect feedback before informing all of our users at once.

Light Theme has Arrived!

Logic 2.4.2 includes a new printable light theme, in addition to a substantial retouch of our existing dark theme. This has been a hugely requested feature since the earliest days of the company, and we’re excited to release it!

• We would love to get your feedback!
  • Please report any issues you find, and include screenshots. This thread is a good place to post them.
  • We will hold back this release from auto-update until we are able to get more feedback, and fix any issues we may have missed.
  • For printing, we recommend disabling “color-match waveforms” in the preferences, so that all traces are black.

Automation Update

An update to the logic2-automation python package was released along with this update, 1.0.4, to fix an issue mentioned below. Please update with pip install logic2-automation --upgrade

Bug Fixes

• Fixed internal error related to device disconnection.
  • Fixed error related to device disconnection while a session is being created.
  • Fixed automation API issue that prevented some analyzer boolean settings from being assigned.

Known Issue

• Linux Users: both Logic 2.4.1 and 2.4.2 were built with Ubuntu 20, and the minimum glibc version increased, breaking support for Ubuntu 18 and other distros with older glibc versions. We’re looking into rolling that back now, but in the meantime, if 2.4.1 or 2.4.2 don’t work for you, please use 2.4.0.

Cool! I tried the light theme, didn’t like it. Wasn’t your fault, I just find the light theme to be way too bright, probably because I’ve gotten used to dark mode on my phone, tablet, and most PC apps. I’m just used to Logic being dark. And, I like the new way that dark theme looks. So far it seems to be working well for me (Ubuntu 22)

Somewhat related to this release: you call the new light theme “printable”. Are you meaning you could print a screenshot? Because, one thing Logic could use is a decent way to print either the viewport or the whole capture if it would make sense. It seems like currently there is no printing functionality in it at all, unless I’m missing something. But, that’d be cool. I could see many uses for being able to print chunks of a waveform to paper.

1 Like

Everything runs fine on Debian 11 Gnome 3.38.5.

One comment about the colours of the signals:

The colours of the signals have been optimised for a dark background: for example, red is light red. On a white background, they don’t provide a strong enough contrast.

So the colours need to be changed and be more saturated: for example, red should be dark red.

1 Like

Hello,
I installed the windows version.
As far as possible, I always work in the dark theme of the tools. Therefore, I will not prefer the light theme.
However, what is easier now is to take a screenshot for documentation purposes. There is also a corresponding feature request here. For my purposes, a “print feature” would be better than a “printable theme”.

• work in dark theme
  • Press “Print” button > “Channel name” and “Signals” will be copied to clipboard in full height (even if out of monitor) in light theme style.

I can’t yet judge whether the channel colors are strong enough. Optimization, as suggested by rei_vilo, certainly doesn’t hurt.

What I noticed negatively (inconsistently):
Light theme:

• In the Device Settings area, the marked buttons appear very dark. It looks like a remnant of the dark theme. Maybe it’s because some of my system settings are set to “dark”.
    Dark Theme:
  • Here I find the optics of the on/off switch of the previous version better/softer/clearer. The new one look kind of pixelated to me.

So far so good. I am glad that you continue to develop the software and add features and involve the community. A big “thank you” for that.

1 Like

As someone who’s eyesight is severely colour-deficient (I fail all the Ishihara charts): +1.000.000.

Contrast, contrast, contrast. Also, the smaller the area that is what is coloured, the more contrast is needed.

Bad colors include: yellow on white background, light blue on white background, black on (dark) red background (think Excel standard red background).

Simply can’t read it.

Also, It is really hard for me to distinguish between black and red text on a white background.

PS: haven’t looked into 2.4.2 yet, just providing general comments. Maybe the best option would be to allow the user to configure their own colour sets (background, traces, etc etc).

2 Likes

@Collin You bring up a good question. Sorry for the confusion with that. I think “printer-friendly” might have been a better term to use.

We don’t have any print or screenshot capabilities built into the app. We simply recommend using the OS’s built-in screenshot tools to take a screenshot of the Logic app’s viewport.

First time I used it after I updated to this version, captured a USB, stuff trying to sniff out
what does BLE do when trying to send GATT stuff…

Color issues with Error message:

Also the terminal color stuff does not feel right

1 Like

@KurtE Oh strange! I’m not sure what the white box in the error message is. I’ll send that over to our software team here for review.

It looks like we modified the terminal display as well. The color coding seems to have been applied as a highlight rather than a text color change. Not sure if that was intentional, but I’ll look into that.

Am seeing crashes on Linux (Xubuntu 22.04). I have two digital pins (D0 & D1) with an Async Decoder on each and a falling edge capture on D0. Crash happens when zooming in after data has been uploaded from device.

tom@x570:~/git/TomKeddie/tom-cpp/rp2040/rc2014_analyser$ ~/bin/Logic-2.4.2-master.AppImage
/tmp/.mount_Logic-ken3iA ~/git/TomKeddie/tom-cpp/rp2040/rc2014_analyser
~/git/TomKeddie/tom-cpp/rp2040/rc2014_analyser
Environment
  Executable path: /tmp/.mount_Logic-ken3iA/Logic
  Executable directory: /tmp/.mount_Logic-ken3iA
  Original working directory: /home/tom/git/TomKeddie/tom-cpp/rp2040/rc2014_analyser
  Current working directory: /tmp/.mount_Logic-ken3iA
  Process ID: 7017
[7095:1129/120630.612233:ERROR:gpu_memory_buffer_support_x11.cc(44)] dri3 extension not supported.
[7017:1129/120630.799946:ERROR:nss_util.cc(335)] After loading Root Certs, loaded==false: NSS error code: -8018
@saleae/electron/main: renderer process died { reason: 'crashed', exitCode: 134 }
sendToFrame() failed: Error: Render frame was disposed before WebFrameMain could be accessed
Attempting to call a function in a renderer window that has been closed or released.
Function provided here: bundle.js:869:5498
Remote event names: close
tom@x570:~/git/TomKeddie/tom-cpp/rp2040/rc2014_analyser$ ~/bin/Logic-2.4.2-master.AppImage
/tmp/.mount_Logic-t49CHS ~/git/TomKeddie/tom-cpp/rp2040/rc2014_analyser
~/git/TomKeddie/tom-cpp/rp2040/rc2014_analyser
Environment
  Executable path: /tmp/.mount_Logic-t49CHS/Logic
  Executable directory: /tmp/.mount_Logic-t49CHS
  Original working directory: /home/tom/git/TomKeddie/tom-cpp/rp2040/rc2014_analyser
  Current working directory: /tmp/.mount_Logic-t49CHS
  Process ID: 7820
[7899:1129/121213.286474:ERROR:gpu_memory_buffer_support_x11.cc(44)] dri3 extension not supported.
[7820:1129/121214.348616:ERROR:nss_util.cc(335)] After loading Root Certs, loaded==false: NSS error code: -8018
@saleae/electron/main: renderer process died { reason: 'crashed', exitCode: 134 }
sendToFrame() failed: Error: Render frame was disposed before WebFrameMain could be accessed
Attempting to call a function in a renderer window that has been closed or released.
Function provided here: bundle.js:869:5498
Remote event names: close
tom@x570:~/git/TomKeddie/tom-cpp/rp2040/rc2014_analyser$

@TomKeddie Oh no! Sorry to hear that…

Can you share your machine ID with us?

If you’re not comfortable sharing this via forum post, feel free to send it in via private message using the link below and refer the message to me (Tim). Make sure to include a link to this forum post so I know it’s you.
https://contact.saleae.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Also, are you able to consistently reproduce it using a particular .sal capture file? If so, can you send that over as well? We can try to reproduce it over here.

@timreyes 2.4.1 is working for me.

{"Environment":"production","Branch":"master","Commit":"c2d2639e3c2b085763bef683052e90a97cf635aa","Version":"2.4.1","AutomationVersion":"1.0.0","MachineID":"deb18c5e-c6e3-46d9-8a68-73169e8ff118","PID":13357,"LaunchId":"781ea977-445a-45fd-abd0-5519860eaf60"}

and it’s not doing it any more :frowning:

I’ll repost if it starts again.

1 Like

win11 Professional Edition 22H2,Using version 2.4.10, there was always an unexpected flash crash without any warning!!

@farley9424 Sorry for the trouble with that. Since this isn’t related to the topic of this forum thread (i.e. v2.4.2 release), I wanted to move our conversation over to another forum thread, or perhaps move it over to email.

As such, could you send me (Tim) a message using the link below? Please share the link to this forum post as well so I know it’s you when it arrives in our inbox.
https://contact.saleae.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

We’ll want to grab your machine ID, as well as any other information you can share about the crashes (for example, how to reproduce the crash, and how often it occurs).