A wider logic

I think I saw this topic a few years ago but at the risk of repeating myself is there a way to combine, say, two logic 16’s (the digital part only) to get to 32 bits. It would be ok to use two different computers for each logic, perhaps some way over a network/bluetooth connection to synchronize them, kinda like tv time code so they can be lined up for later analysis. Perhaps this can be done through the SDK already existent? As embedded systems move more into the 32 bit realm (and beyond) capabilities such as this would be of great use.

2 Likes

I remember I raised the question many years ago, but the answer was negative then.

Maybe the modern hardware and software could allow that feature now?

@ehklei19 @rei_vilo It’s likely we won’t be implementing this feature into existing hardware due to other priorities on our plate. In the meantime however, we’re continuing to track interest in this in the idea post below:

I added a comment in there which links to this discuss forum post to track your need for this as well.

I’m curious why the current hardware would be a limiting factor. Currently I can record from multiple devices on the same computer, I just have to have multiple instances of Saleae open to do it and they don’t result in a single recording.

While I know the reality of things is rarely as simple as it seems from the outside, this makes it seem that it would just be a matter of the software being able to start/manage multiple devices in the same instance instead of different instances.

Even something as “simple” having some sort of timestamping in the recording files, combined with a post-processing tool that would allow you to effectively glue together recording from multiple devices would be nice.

Without knowing the internals of the Logic devices, my take on the problem is getting the multiple devices synchronized so the devices sample data at the exact same time (within ~ 1/4th of the sample rate), and timestamped together so the data can be presented as the same point in time.

USB is pretty asynchronous, so as I understand it, relying on sending seprate commands to the Logic devices would not suffice for the higher sample rates: at the 500MHz sample rate, we’re into the 500psec territory, and even light travels only 15cm (6 inches) in that time.

1 Like

That’s a good point. I may be oversimplifying it at a technical level. I hadn’t thought of it like that.

@Kai brings up a great point. Synchronization between devices is one of the major hurdles (if not, the main major hurdle). A “sync in/out” addition in hardware would be ideal.

There are other gotchas and details under the hood that would be required to get this “loosely” working on current hardware, but we’re strapped quite thin on time and resources working on other priorities at the moment.

1 Like