1.2.29 no longer supported

To me “dependent on window size” is a good thing. It means I can choose a zoom to show the region of interest even if I resize the window (perhaps to stack two instances of Logic 2).

Most of us are used to using scopes where the horizontal scaling is in terms of window size so that comes pretty naturally to us. On the other hand there is never a time I can think of where we naturally use pixels as the ruler for horizontal scaling (unless, maybe dealing with display devices).

In my own use Logic 2’s size is almost permanently fixed, but not full screen. Occasionally it gets moved around depending on what else I want to see at the same time.

1 Like

perhaps to stack two instances of Logic 2

I have not tried in a long time, but are you now allowed to use more than one Logic Analyzer at the same time?

You won’t be able to use two instances with the same device, but if you want to open a saved capture on another instance, I believe that it should work.

Actually I have 3 devices:
An old 16, a newer 8, and newer Pro 8.

So can I now plug in more than one?

Probably not, but I haven’t tried :slight_smile:

The biggest feature for our group is to add the socket scripting server with API for automation so we can control several computers with Logic analyzers connected at the same time.

1 Like

EDIT: in response to trying to run 2 logic analyzers at the same time

FYI - I tried it and I don’t think it worked. At first I thought it did, but then I noticed that one still showed demo…

Other side note: On the ability to zoom in to a portion of the screen. I have not yet tried the enter zoom time per pixel, will have to try that… (Wonder to self) does it already show what the current per pixel value is…) Something to try out.

But another way I got reasonably close, to doing the random zoom, was to place a set of timing markers, and then go to the marker set and do a zoom to marker.

Again wish list was you had an option for Timing markers to always show the timing value.

1 Like

An important missing feature (sorry if I have overlooked something) is the limited functionality of the trigger. In Logic 1.x, it was possible to set the trigger to a pulse which was “longer than x” (by using the “n/a” as the upper limit).

Logic 2.3.5 requires an actual value in the upper limit and it does actually wait this long to ensure the pulse was not longer than that.

The “longer than x” is a typical condition to trigger for something which generates activity and then crashes - say a serial line lacks any transitions or SPI NSS line stops having any activity.

I believe there was a discussion point about this and it was then acknowledged that this feature is currently missing.

This forces me to switch between 1.x and 2.x depending on what I need to do and the lack of interoperability of the files does not allow me to capture in 1.x and then proceed in 2.x.

Thanks for bringing that up. I agree with you. Sorry it’s missing the feature at the moment. We’ve actually had a few users bring this up as well.

Would you mind posting your votes/comments to the existing idea below?
https://ideas.saleae.com/b/feature-requests/trigg-on-signal-state-low-high-after-x-time/

We’re keeping a close eye on user interest right now.

Quick update (again), I was able to get two of them working…

It took a couple of attempts:

I am trying to debug why some simple nRF24L01 communications is sometimes working and sometimes not, between a Teensy 4 and an Arduino Mega. board. I have the Pro 8 setup on the Teensy and had run a few runs… So I hook up the Logic 8 to the the Mega, and plugged it in and then started a second instance of the Logic App. It came up just showing Demo Pro 8… I then set it to the Logic 8, it still showed Demo… So I unplugged and re-plugged in the Logic 8 and it conneced and it appears like I could run captures on both?

So at least it looks possible… Have not checked to see if it will completely saturate out the USB.

Thanks for testing that @KurtE. Glad to hear that works in your case. We simply haven’t tested 2 simultaneous logic analyzers running on the same PC extensively, so we can’t guarantee it will work for all users.

As for your comment below:

Have not checked to see if it will completely saturate out the USB.

It’s possible that each logic analyzer in your case (Logic 8 & Logic Pro 8) are connected to two separate USB host controllers on your PC (a USB 2.0 host controller & USB 3.0 host controller for example). In this case, the bandwidth is likely not shared between them.

Otherwise if both are connected to the same USB host controller, then the bandwidth would be shared.

The bitrate usage over USB is calculated as follows:
bits/s = (num digital channels * digital sampling rate) + (num analog channels * analog sampling rate * 12)

Note: The x12 factor for analog is due to 12 bits per analog sample.

Saleae 1.2.29 is really good if it does not crash frequently.
I really like the way how to operate it:

1. Call out the cursors quickly by number 1,2,3 and is able to pick and drop so nicely.
  2. The vertical scale can change adaptively to the waveform, and can select the 1x,2x up to 8x.
  3. De-glitching feature
  4. Our decoder plugins are based on this version.

absolutely correct, super annoying when i could not open the old captures

Thanks @sunny.xiong. I covered #1 in another thread, you’re right about that.

For #2, can you explain what functionality you need exactly? The 1x, 2x, 8x settings in Logic 1.x was a channel sizing setting, and does not scale the waveform. Sizing and scaling are both possible in Logic 2. This is something we describe in the video below:

For #3, the glitch filter setting can be found at the bottom of the Capture Settings panel (by clicking the “Capture Settings” button on the right).

For #4, custom analyzers from Logic 1.x are supported in Logic 2. You can load them via Options button → Custom Low Level Analyzers.

We’ve got a good number of users requesting Logic 2 to support the old .logicdata format. This is currently not on the roadmap, but you can refer to the idea we are tracking below:
https://ideas.saleae.com/b/feature-requests/import-logicdata-capture