Please upvote this idea to support it!
But, I feel you about the lack of Logic1 file loading. I mean, they have the source code for both, how difficult can it be to support your own file format? At first it was like “yeah, they’re busy making a new, awesome program, give them some slack” but now it kind of seems to stick out like a sore thumb. I’m sure there are reasons.
It really comes down to how we decide the priority of work. The largest driver of what we do next really comes down to user input - not just feature requests, but specific use cases & workflows, problems that users face that aren’t well served by existing tools (or ours) etc.
What I’d love to learn from all of you about this specific feature, is what you need, and what you’re willing to live without. Of course we’ll want to support loading the raw digital & analog data from old files into the new application. However there is a lot of other stored state that either doesn’t easily translate into the Logic 2 application, or simply doesn’t exist. Trying to import the file in full fidelity would be a much larger effort than say simply focusing on the raw data.
What information do you think you need, or don’t need, when importing Logic 1 saves into Logic 2?
- Analyzers, and their settings.
- Timing Markers
- Bookmarks (not currently supported in Logic 2)
- View state & zoom.
- other channel settings - channel labels, order, display size, visibility, etc.
- The original capture settings that were used to create the file. (sample rate, selected duration, trigger settings, IO voltage
- glitch filter (note, the glitch filter in Logic 1 is very different from the filter in Logic 2, we would probably need to build a new glitch filter first, which I would like to do anyway)
Analyzer settings represent a particularly challenging issue, since we’ve fundamentally changed how we serialize analyzer settings. Logic 2 currently has no way to interpret the saved analyzer state from Logic 1 files. Would simply getting a list of analyzers that were used with the old capture, without their settings, be helpful?
For anyone else reading this who wants this feature - please let us know! vote for it on the ideas.saleae.com link above! let us know here and in comments there what your needs are for this feature.