Logic 2 and Logic 1 side by side

Hi,

It is ok to install Logic 2 side by side with Logic 1? Do they use the same driver?

Btw, I can’t believe that Logic 2 still doesn’t support Logic 1 captures. After Mark replied to the issue about half a year ago, I was sure that some kind of support was coming. Do you realize how much that is important for all of us old costumers that have so many captures produces with Logic1?

Thanks

You can use them side by side. I’ve definitely done that previously

Pretty much the whole team here at Saleae has them installed side by side too!

I use them both all of the time. Some things are still better in Logic 1 and many other things are better in Logic 2. It’s perfectly fine to switch between them.

But, I feel you about the lack of Logic1 file loading. I mean, they have the source code for both, how difficult can it be to support your own file format? At first it was like “yeah, they’re busy making a new, awesome program, give them some slack” but now it kind of seems to stick out like a sore thumb. I’m sure there are reasons. And, we can all live with it because we can still use Logic 1 (even if you have to fudge the V1 version most of us have installed because of the expired update thing). So, while I find it quite odd I tend not to dwell on it too often. Just load Logic 1 and view your captures. But, still, I’d really like to see support for it added soon.

Please upvote this idea to support it!

But, I feel you about the lack of Logic1 file loading. I mean, they have the source code for both, how difficult can it be to support your own file format? At first it was like “yeah, they’re busy making a new, awesome program, give them some slack” but now it kind of seems to stick out like a sore thumb. I’m sure there are reasons.

It really comes down to how we decide the priority of work. The largest driver of what we do next really comes down to user input - not just feature requests, but specific use cases & workflows, problems that users face that aren’t well served by existing tools (or ours) etc.

What I’d love to learn from all of you about this specific feature, is what you need, and what you’re willing to live without. Of course we’ll want to support loading the raw digital & analog data from old files into the new application. However there is a lot of other stored state that either doesn’t easily translate into the Logic 2 application, or simply doesn’t exist. Trying to import the file in full fidelity would be a much larger effort than say simply focusing on the raw data.

What information do you think you need, or don’t need, when importing Logic 1 saves into Logic 2?

1. Analyzers, and their settings.
  2. Timing Markers
  3. Measurements
  4. Bookmarks (not currently supported in Logic 2)
  5. View state & zoom.
  6. other channel settings - channel labels, order, display size, visibility, etc.
  7. The original capture settings that were used to create the file. (sample rate, selected duration, trigger settings, IO voltage
  8. glitch filter (note, the glitch filter in Logic 1 is very different from the filter in Logic 2, we would probably need to build a new glitch filter first, which I would like to do anyway)

Analyzer settings represent a particularly challenging issue, since we’ve fundamentally changed how we serialize analyzer settings. Logic 2 currently has no way to interpret the saved analyzer state from Logic 1 files. Would simply getting a list of analyzers that were used with the old capture, without their settings, be helpful?

For anyone else reading this who wants this feature - please let us know! vote for it on the ideas.saleae.com link above! let us know here and in comments there what your needs are for this feature.

Thanks for the consideration. For me, I’d say the most important thing is to be able to import the raw data. Everything after that is just gravy. After the raw data, the most important to me would probably be the analyzers. It’d be nice if all the settings ported over. Channel settings like labels would be quite useful too. I don’t care about timing marks, measurements, bookmarks, view state / zoom.

Mostly, I think 95% of people would be happy just being able to import the raw data. We can set up the analyzers and stuff again if needed. I just want to SEE the data and be able to use one program while doing so. Anything past being able to see it is extra.

1 Like

Hi Mark,

I think we all understand that supporting every single feature, and specially the analyzers, of Logic 1 old captures is a very mayor task. I don’t think we are asking for that. Just implement whatever translates naturally to Logic 2 and is relatively simple to implement. You could always add better support for old captures in the future, if there is enough demand and you would have the time.

I would say import just the raw data and the main capture settings (say, channel labels and sample rate). If it is not too difficult, I would add, may be, the markers and the basic trigger settings. Definitely forget about the analyzers and glitch filter, at least for the time being.

When you perform the import, warn the user about which features that couldn’t be imported. May be allow writing an import log file. Or perhaps just make it easy to be able to copy the details from the warning might be good enough.

That would probably cover 90% of the stuff for 90% of the people. Again, you could always enhance the import capability in the future.

Thanks,

2 Likes