Utilities for .sal files

Will there be any utilities that can work on.sal files directly?

I’ve poked around with it and found that the binary files that are compressed inside are different than the binary files that are output by the export function.

Hey @Scarzer. Unfortunately, we don’t have any plans to develop any utilities outside of our Logic 2 software to work with .sal files.

You’re right, the binary files are very different formats.

Is there any specific use case for preferring to work with .sal files directly over the standard export files?

I found the .sal file to be somewhat more convenient in being able to send around than a directory of binary files.

The ability to get an export of the binary data from the .sal without opening up Logic 2 is ultimately what I was trying to achieve. With the idea that I would receive a .sal from a colleague and be able to export and run a script on the output without having to leave my terminal. And then automating that process.

3 Likes

We are walking in the same boot. It is PITA that sal files format is not documented.
I personally would not need any utility to be provided. Just a format description.

In the old times somewhere there were some mentions that the data there is serialized with boost and it depends on a lot of things (sample rate, etc.) so documenting it would not be straightforward.

1 Like

+1 for any kind of documentation on the .sal format to minimize the amount of GUI interaction needed for automated captures.

1 Like

This request seems to be more needed than we initially thought. I just created an idea post below:

Please vote and comment to help with getting this on our roadmap.

I understand it’s not really a “feature” per say, just really a documentation exercise. Nonetheless, still requires cycles from the team, and therefore a roadmap evaluation before committing to it.

1 Like