Export multiple analyser results to single file?

Just wondering if I’m missing something? In Logic 1.x the default (and as far as I can see, only) option was to export analyser results to a single CSV file.

In Logic 2.x it appears you can only output each analyser individually? My scenario is investigating async serial comms between two devices and it seems like unnecessary effort to have to write code to merge the two files based on timestamps?

I can see where having separate files would be useful but perhaps an option to include more than one analyser?

1 Like

You’re not missing anything. We currently support export one analyzer at a time. We’re working on improving the data table, and as part of that, we’ll add an option to export its results (including filtered results).

1 Like

I’d like to second this request. We have stand-alone tools that process v1 binary files and find it cumbersome to have to merge several files to perform more complex analyses (for example, analyzing both I2C and SPI sequences at the same time). The v1 software had everything in the same file, which is easy to decode and process… Out of curiosity, why was this changed?

Also, while on the subject of exporting v2 data:

1. Why was the option to only save samples when data changes removed from the CSV options? This was very handy and helped reduce the size of the CSV files exported.
  2. When exporting the data, why not name the files according to the user’s assignments (For example, if I change the name of the channels in the GUI, why are the filenames still Digital_1, Digital_2, etc…?)
  3. It really would be nice if v2 software could import v1 logictraces… We have a lot of validation data that has been captured using Saleae devices, and have to keep both versions of the software available just so we can continue consulting them… Really?

There have certainly been a lot of improvements in the performance of the new software (Bravo for all that!), but it seems that there have also been many “breaking changes” that significantly alter the way the use interacts with the application… In some case, I find the changes are not really for the better and have made things a bit more complicated.

Still a big fan!!

Thanks for listening…
Steve

@steven.dutemple This is great feedback for the team here! Thanks so much for sharing these.

The v1 software had everything in the same file, which is easy to decode and process… Out of curiosity, why was this changed?

This feature is actually available now in the latest version of the software:

Logic 2 Download link → Saleae - Changelog

I just wrote up a user guide entry for it below under “Exporting the Data Table”:

Is that the feature you needed?

1. Why was the option to only save samples when data changes removed from the CSV options? This was very handy and helped reduce the size of the CSV files exported.

In Logic 2, we actually removed the option to save all samples for digital channels. By default, the samples should only be saved when data changes. Can you confirm this is the case for you?

1. When exporting the data, why not name the files according to the user’s assignments (For example, if I change the name of the channels in the GUI, why are the filenames still Digital_1, Digital_2, etc…?)

This is a great idea. I’d like to get this up on our ideas page so we can track user interest in this before committing it to the roadmap. Feel free to post that idea there! I think this is a fantastic idea. Sorry we didn’t implement it this way to begin with.
https://ideas.saleae.com/b/feature-requests/

1. It really would be nice if v2 software could import v1 logictraces… We have a lot of validation data that has been captured using Saleae devices, and have to keep both versions of the software available just so we can continue consulting them… Really?

You’re absolutely right. Sorry for the hassle this causes. Several other users reported their need for this feature as well. Right now, we’re tracking this via the idea post below. It’s garnered a lot of attention so far. I’ll add your comment there to keep track of your need for this as well.

@steven.dutemple This is great feedback for the team here! Thanks so much for sharing these.

The v1 software had everything in the same file, which is easy to decode and process… Out of curiosity, why was this changed?

This feature is actually available now in the latest version of the software:

Logic 2 Download link → Saleae - Changelog

I just wrote up a user guide entry for it below under “Exporting the Data Table”:

Is that the feature you needed?

Tim, Thanks for taking the time to respond. Actually, I was referring to having all binary data for all channels in the same file (similar to what you do in the V1 software, where you provide a timestamp for the sample along with a byte - or word for 16-bit devices - providing samples for all channels). Providing a sample point on the change of any data (but providing all the data) makes synchronizing the samples easier. I’m currently experiencing an issue where the visual display does not sync up with the sample data - the data file tells me the signal transition is at 16.824966536, but the GUI indicates the same transition is a 16.824921144). This makes it harder to find a transition visually if you know the time… (I’m going to create another issue describing this problem).

In Logic 2, we actually removed the option to save all samples for digital channels. By default, the samples should only be saved when data changes. Can you confirm this is the case for you?

Yes, and this is fine. The only thing I’d like to see is an option to be able to put all data in the same file (see my comment above). I agree there’s a significant decrease in file size for individual channels, but writing software to “align” multiple files is a challenge. Having a data point written to file when any channel changes (and providing all the data channels in the sample) would result in a large file, but it would be a single file, and much easier to process…

1. When exporting the data, why not name the files according to the user’s assignments (For example, if I change the name of the channels in the GUI, why are the filenames still Digital_1, Digital_2, etc…?)

This is a great idea. I’d like to get this up on our ideas page so we can track user interest in this before committing it to the roadmap. Feel free to post that idea there! I think this is a fantastic idea. Sorry we didn’t implement it this way to begin with.
https://ideas.saleae.com/b/feature-requests/

I will add this request (officially)… :wink:
Got other ideas as well … you’ll be seeing them shortly…

1. It really would be nice if v2 software could import v1 logictraces… We have a lot of validation data that has been captured using Saleae devices, and have to keep both versions of the software available just so we can continue consulting them… Really?

You’re absolutely right. Sorry for the hassle this causes. Several other users reported their need for this feature as well. Right now, we’re tracking this via the idea post below. It’s garnered a lot of attention so far. I’ll add your comment there to keep track of your need for this as well.

@steven.dutemple Ah I see what you mean now. Sorry for the confusion, and thanks for getting that up on the ideas site!
https://ideas.saleae.com/b/feature-requests/export-all-binary-channels-to-same-bin-file-1/

I added an image to supplement your idea post, and added my vote as well (I agree, a single file would be much easier to process and keep track of). I’ll personally get your post in front of our team here, as I think this is a fantastic idea.