Use an oscilloscope at work? Talk to us!

We’d love to speak with you! Grab a time slot here: https://calendly.com/saleae-/saleae-product-feedback-15-min

• What you use your oscilloscope for
  • What features you most use
  • What you like
  • What you don’t like
  • What you would most like to improve

Looking forward to speaking with you!

Joe & Team

3 Likes

Great initiative! I’ll see when I can book the call.

2 Likes

Look forward to speaking with you!

Nice conversation today. Happy 4th of July!

2 Likes

Hi
Are you still wanting to talk to users?
And is it about any scope or specific ones?

Yes, that would be great! You can sign up for a time here: https://calend.ly/neelbanerjee/hour-chat
I do like to keep the conversation open so if you want to focus on a specific one we can or just generally speak about scopes. I’m looking forward to chatting with you!

I’m interested in talking with you about how to replace the oscilloscope in my test setup with the analog features of the Logic Pro 8. I have two issues:

1. My signal of interested is differential that can be +/-8V to +/-24V.
  2. I need to make both analog measurements and digital decode of the differential signal.

On the analog side, I have to make measurements such as peak-peak voltage, zero-crossing slew-rate, zero-crossing distortion frequency. On the digital side, I have already written a protocol decoder using both LLA and HLA code. Currently I have to convert the differential signal to a CMOS input to the Saleae. I’d like to bring an attenuated version of the differential lines into the Saleae and do both analog and digital measurements on the resulting difference signal.

Thanks for reaching out. Let’s find some time to chat. I’d like to learn more about your use case and can tell you about our plans in the oscilloscope space. Please use this link to find a time https://calend.ly/neelbanerjee/hour-chat

I’d like to add my two cents to this discussion.

It would be perfect if:

• the input voltage range was higher (+/- 20?V)
  • the bandwith was higher (50, or maybe 100 MHz)
  • the upcoming device had USB-C port

In such case a single device would replace my DSCope from DreamSourceLab.

As I thought about it a little more… An additional set of scope-like probes would also be a nice feature. Let’s say an optional cable with four needle probes that one could buy separately as an accessory. And maybe some optimization in software for the first four inputs in such use case for the most scope-like experience.

Most of the times I use DSCope instead of Logic 8 Pro is when I just need to quickly check some signals on the vias. Even if the signals are digital it’s easier to apply a scope probe to them than to solder wires and desolder them shortly after.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. If you are open to I’d like to learn a bit more about your use case and what features of the scope you tend to use and for what purposes. You can find open times here: https://calend.ly/neelbanerjee/hour-chat

whats new here? :nerd_face:

realised I would want a set of physical knobs to control the software
maybe a future logic 16 could have a set of dials on the top

1 Like

I’ve been wondering how a StreamDeck, or other USB HID rotary encoder knob could be used with my Saleae, especially for zooming, scrolling and moving markers and cursors.

If I wasn’t budget constrained right now I’d be getting myself one to play with.

The strange thing is, if you Google “StreamDeck” and “Logic Pro” you get lots of hits. There is a video editing software called Logic Pro and the search engines get messed up.

Are you referring to the Saleae Logic Pro logic analyser or the Apple Logic Pro music composer?

The LA, as I was saying all the search results were disappointingly about video and music SW.

If the knobs on the streamdeck + can be mapped to any function, as they imply, then there could be a way to map them to the Saleae software for zooming and panning the waveforms.

Hi Janny,

I just got myself a belated Christmas present. A Stream Deck + (the one with rotary encoders).

Remember, the Saleae Logic 2 is designed for mouse and keyboard control.

Running on MacOs the Stream Deck supports keyboard macros, but not mouse button or scroll wheel. I saw plenty of mouse plugins before I bought it, but didn’t realize that they were all Windows only.

Now, the bit you might like.

I have mapped my first encoder to voltage scale. Mapping CCW (counter clockwise) to <CMD>+<DOWN ARROW> and CW (clockwise) to <CMD>+<UP ARROW>, and push/tap mapped to “F”. I now have voltage scale, as if on a scope, with a push to “Fit vertical”. There is a slight problem, the mouse focus has to be in the analog channel pane to zoom, and it zoom about the mouses y coordinate.

I have mapped my second button to timebase, using CCW =‘-’, CW =‘=’ and press = <PAGE DOWN> for zoom in, out and fit all respectively. This works quite nice, every detent on the knob it 2x scaling.

I mapped the third to pan/time offset, using <RIGHT ARROW>, <LEFT ARROW> and tap = “J” gives snap to trigger.

The panning is a bit swift, matching the keystroke at 25% screen width or thereabouts, so turn is slowly, slower than your o’scope.

I’m playing with other controls, such as using hot keys for

1. run/stop = “R”
  2. Save cap = <CMD> + "S"
  3. Screen Cap = <CMD>+<SHIFT>+"5"

I am also trying a button stack, where the press toggles between timescale and time offset mode, or voltage scale and voltage offset. However until I get scroll wheel integration with the Stream Deck, I can’t do the voltage offset.

I have trouble remembering all the scroll wheel and drag modifiers for my saleae, I know there’s a handy cheet sheet, but I am not using this tool daily, only when bringing up new hardware. WHen looking at traces I find the knobs to be second nature, after 30 years usage I’m not surprised.

I’m looking forward to refining this system. I might just move my saleae to my windows box and try it all there too, maybe that will go easier.

Maybe these are the knobs you would like, or maybe you’ll find a different set elsewhere.

Cheers

Alex