Logic 2.4.10

2.4.10 Download Links

This is a pretty small release - most of what we’ve been working on is still under development and not ready for release.

Logic Pro 16 Revision 10

This release includes support for the newest hardware revision of Logic Pro 16, revision 10.0.0. If you’re wondering what’s new, this hardware revision is another small change in a long list of small changes to deal with supply chain issues. That’s mostly behind us now, fortunately. If you’re curious, at the start of the supply chain shortage, Xilinx, the vendor who makes the FPGAs our devices previously used, completely shut down production of the Spartan 6 FPGA line. Very few FPGAs were available from any source at any price, but we managed to pull though by purchasing a wide variety of Lattice ECP5 FPGAs. All the FPGAs we bought are in the same package, but we had to buy a wide variety of speed grades and densities, since no single part number was available in the quantities we needed. Every time we change part number, we need to generate a new bitstream for the part, so a software update is required. Hardware revisions 4 through 10 are just this - slightly different FPGAs.

SmartScreen Notification

In addition, our code signing certificate for Windows expired recently, so this is the first release of the software with the new certificate. Normally this isn’t noteworthy, however Microsoft Defender SmartScreen, the system on Windows computers that protects the users from a wide variety of issues, operates on a “reputation” system. What that means is that software that was been signed with a new certificate that hasn’t been seen before will trigger the “Windows protected your PC” message, similar to the screen shown for unsigned software. This is annoying, and unfortunately will likely cause some confusion with this update.

If you see this screen, please let us know! We expect it to stop showing up pretty quickly.

To install the software, click “More Info”, and then “Run anyway”

You can manually validate the code signing certificate on the installer by right-clicking the installer and opening properties, then navigate to the “Digital Signatures” tab.

There you should see our signature, which you can select and open the details for:

What’s New

1. Support for Rev 10 Logic Pro 16 hardware. No actual change in functionality, this revision uses yet another slightly different FPGA model.

Bug Fixes

1. Not a bug, but our code signing certificate for Windows expired recently, so we have replaced it with a new one. If you see a “Windows protected your PC” message, this is a byproduct of how new our code cert is. Microsoft tracks “reputation” for code signing certificates, and over time this message will go away.
1 Like

Just installed 2.4.10 on a fresh PC and I see the “Windows Protected your PC” message (11:54 am 9/6/2023).

1 Like

@chriskeeser Thanks for letting us know! Were you able to install the software successfully despite the “Windows Protected your PC” message appearing?

Yes, I can confirm that I was able to install and use it successfully despite the warning message (had to “run anyway” per your instructions)

1 Like

Got it, thanks. We’ll continue to keep an eye on reports of this message.

Seeing the message box just now as well, here on a Windows 11 computer. The guide/workaround worked fine.

1 Like

Version 2.4.10 crashes here on two different linux systems (one is a debian sid) in the moment capture is started.

In the console the error is:
@saleae/electron/main: renderer process died { reason: ‘crashed’, exitCode: 133 }
sendToFrame() failed: Error: Render frame was disposed before WebFrameMain could be accessed
Attempting to call a function in a renderer window that has been closed or released.
Function provided here: bundle.js:870:5498

With version 2.4.9 there is no such problem.

Doesn’t seem to be crashing on me. I don’t have anything to test handy but I fired it up and started a simulated capture and it worked fine. I’m using Ubuntu 23.04 and built-in video on an I7 processor. I have an nvidia GPU as well but it should not be active.

@paul3 That’s quite surprising to hear, but thanks for letting us know.

We made very minor changes from 2.4.9 to 2.4.10 summarized below.
https://ideas.saleae.com/f/changelog/2410/

In particular:

• We added support for a new hw revision of Logic Pro 16
  • We updated our signing certificate in Windows

You mentioned that you have no issues running 2.4.9. Can you retest it by attempting to run 2.4.10 again? Does that cause the crash? Afterwards, run 2.4.9 again. Does the software run successfully? I’m mainly trying to see if the issue is reproducible when jumping back and forth from 2.4.9 to 2.4.10, and if the first instance of the issue may have been a coincidence.

I also noticed that you mentioned it crashes the moment the capture is started.

• Does it crash when running the software in Demo Mode (i.e. no Logic analyzer is connected to your PC)?
  • Does it crash when your Logic hardware is connected to your PC?

Sorry for the delay.
I did a system update in between and the problem disappeared. Strange but solves it for me.

1 Like

@paul3 No worries at all, and thanks for the update. That is quite strange indeed, but I’m glad that solved it nonetheless.

We haven’t heard of any other reports of a crash like this yet, but we’ll keep an eye out for them in the meantime.