Logic 2.2.8 - now with fewer memory leaks!

Sorry about that :frowning:

Do you know by any chance how to reproduce it? What did you do before it happened?

Thanks for the help!

The last time I was just letting it sit there and record while I was in a conference call. The prior time my computer was just sitting there recording and when I came back to it it was all locked up. This only happens when I leave Logic recording for a long period.

1 Like

I’ve seen what may be the same thing. In my case Logic became unresponsive and eventually I opened Task manager to kill it. I noticed that it had grabbed 97% “memory”. It took a lot of killing!

Maybe what Chris saw was not so much his system locked up, as performing extremely slowly?

I didn’t report it at the time because I didn’t think I had enough useful context. As I remember I’d left it sampling while my attention was elsewhere. I had 9 digital channels and one analogue channel turned on. Capture settings reports 50 MS/s for both which is stupid high for what I’m doing, but I forgot to turn the rates down to something sane.

Two digital channels would be seeing 100kHz pulses 1uS wide. All other channels would have been essentially static.

Device serial number is 3465636525916183485 (is there a way to copy/paste that number?). LogicPro16.

Yes, as @P.Jaquiery mentioned my system is not totally locked up, if I move the mouse around I will see some movement but it takes minutes to do any movement. I was not successful in killing Logic to recover so I did a hard reset.

Also another somewhat frustrating thing. When I save the current tab and then try to reopen the sal file Logic shows “Decompressing Capture…” indefinitely.
The saved clip is about 92MB and contains 50 seconds of recording using my settings above. this a Quad channel SDIO bus running at 25 MHz with a couple of GPIOs being wiggled for debugging.

Here is a dropbox link to the capture:

1 Like

I tried to load it locally and if failed (however, the notification disappeared). We’ll dig into this!
Are you using 2.2.8?

@P.Jaquiery and @chris.peterson, thanks!
We heard about that from a couple of users, we’re still investigating, we fixed a couple of bugs today, but don’t think that we’ve found that issue yet

@rani,
Yes, this was created with 2.2.8 and i tried to open it with 2.2.8

Edit: I also just recently got a “Processing Session 1 Data” message that does not go away (was there for 15-20 minutes until i hit the ‘x’

In regards to the saved file, it seems that some data is missing that file that’s causing the load to fail. We’re investigating it. Does it happen with every file that you save?

Edit: I also just recently got a “Processing Session 1 Data” message that does not go away (was there for 15-20 minutes until i hit the ‘x’

We fixed that bug on 2.2.9 (coming out next week), but thanks!

@rani

If i save a shorter file (only 5 second duration or so) everything seems fine. I have not searched for at what point it starts failing.

Please find a feed-back on release 2.2.8 used on a real case.

I used Logic 16 and Logic Pro 8 to debug SPI + UART of the same program against two different boards. Actually, the program was running successfully on one board but not on the other.

1. Same comments as before about readability, especially how selected channels are displayed on the capture settings pane.

1. Same comments as before about screen real estate usage. Defining a protocol requires to scroll down.

I don’t want to scroll down to configure SPI.

1. When channels are named, how to reset all the names at once?

How to remove /RESET, Panel /CS, Flash /CS and alike?

1. How to compare two traces? I was debugging the same program against two boards: it was running successfully on one board but not on the other.

Spot the difference between the two traces above.

1. How to switch from one page to another? I would expect Ctrl+tab.

How to go from CC1352 to FR5994?

1. I would expect Open Capture on the File menu.

1. Double-clicking on a .logicdata file launches Logic and doesn’t load the file, when double-clocking on a .sal file launches Logic and loads the file

1 Like

Can’t get trigger to scroll

I have 8 channels enabled and wanted to set the trigger on the last channel D10 in my example). I open up the Capture Settings then scroll down to “On what channel” and try to scroll down to D10. However, I can’t get there without growing the screen. Here is what I see when trying to scroll down.
The last one I can get to is D9:

However, if I grow the screen a little, I can scroll down to D10

Let me know if you need more info to reproduce this.

Minor bug seen on Windows: the analogue cursor readout isn’t shown when the cursor moves into an analogue pane until the cursor is moved sideways. That is, if you move the cursor straight up or down into an analogue pane, the readout isn’t shown.

1 Like

I’m using Ubuntu 18.04 and recording 2 digital and 2 analog channels with a Logic 8 Pro while working on I2C. For me, the looping memory bug still exists. I’m running htop to watch my resources and while Logic implies that the buffer is being reused, htop says my memory usage is still increasing. If I stop and restart the recording, the used memory is freed. Not sure if I can give any more useful information but let me know if there is anything I can do that would be helpful.

@chris.peterson, I have also seen my computer become unresponsive because of this. If the memory and swap file both fill up, your machine will effectively lock up.

When I go to open Logic2, I consistently get the error message ```“Logic2” can’t be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software. This software needs to be updated. Contact the developer for more information.``. That doesn’t seem to be the normal message for unsigned apps - any ideas on what I need to do to make the app run? This is an iMac on Catalina 10.15.4 (19E266). I did search this forum, and didn’t find anyone else with the same problem

You can scroll, it’s just very tricky :wink:
Notice that there are 2 scrollbars, you need to scroll the outer panel and then the inner one.
Sorry about that…

Anyway, we fixed it on 2.2.9 that we’ll be release today!

Thanks for letting us know, we’ll add that to our bugs list

Apple added app notarization on Catalina, we’re planning to add that to our app soon (next couple of weeks).
You can still open the app in the meantime:

1. Right click + ctrl on the file, and then click on open and click on open again in the popup. Sometimes, the popup doesn’t include the open option and then you need to repeat the process again. After the first load, you won’t have to do that again.
  2. The official guide: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT202491

We’ll fix it soon!

Thanks, and that did work. I was confused because that’s not the message I usually see when apps aren’t signed.

1 Like

These are some great suggestions Rei! I’m adding them to our UX improvement list.