Logic 2.2.4 Download Here!

… additional feature

• Display a group, make it possible to “order by group name”
  • Wireshark applies filters to what is recorded, this would probably handy if you’re only interested in special packages.
    – This could be solved with a python filter too, once it’s released?
    – Probably use such a thing as a example? Could be even greater in combining data from different channels. Like: “Only display fram if Package XY on filter Z was received.”

New feature - Minimap of trace
In modern Editors like sublime, vscode, intellij, there is a mini-map of the whole file, allowing a quick visual search.

• something like a small bar on the lower section of the screen or a small screen in the lower right corner.
3 Likes

New Feature - Detached mini screen
As a programmer or tester I’ve a lot of programms running in paralell. Sometimes I’m running out of space on my screen. For saleae I just wand to have a small control panel, which can reside beside all my other controlpanels from e.g. a switchable power supply, an Debugger, texteditor and don’t forget the ICQ chat window =).

I would like to have a miniscreen, with “start recording” and “stop recording”. During recording I would like to see one or the other result from a channel on a roling minimap presenting the last say N seconds.

2 Likes

New Feature - Rolling Osci-view
As a user I would like to use the saleae as a simple Multimeter / Oscilloscope. Inspired by the live recording view there are only a view features to add.

• make it possible to select the update rolling speed of the screen.
  • Using a scope, I don’t care for the past, so I don’t want to care for recorded data and the used up storage.

Those are all great ideas!!!
We’ve been talking about the minimap recently, and you’d be able to write your own filters with the Python High-Level Analyzers :slight_smile:

I want to make sure that they won’t get lost here on the forum. Would you like to add them to the feature requests page?
https://ideas.saleae.com/b/feature-requests/

I can do that if you prefer

1 Like

The black text at the top of the traces looks much better against the lighter backgrounds. I’m not sure about the color next to the labels. Until I see it on my screen, I won’t be able to give you good feedback if I can tell the green/blue and pink/orange apart.

1 Like

done. Thank you, for the hint! This is new or have I overseen this the whole time?

Thank you :slight_smile:
It is pretty new (a month or so), we posted it here on the forum but it’s was pretty easy to miss…

Great!
Hopefully, it would be good enough :slight_smile:

Keep Analyzer Settings When Channel is Enabled/Disabled

Currently, if a channel has an analyzer enabled and then the channel is disabled and re-enabled, the channel comes back with the analyzer disabled and needs to be setup again.

I enable and disable channels to make room on the screen and to help focus on what I’m interested in at the moment. It would be nice if the settings were saved with the channel when it is disabled and enabled again.

If you’d like me to add this to the enhancements page, I can do that.

No need :slight_smile:

Coming up on 2.2.5

@sethnobaka wow that offset is terrible!

Could you send me the device ID of your Logic Pro 16? Open the options menu (lower right) and select “switch devices”. That will display the device’s ID. I need to figure out if this is a bug in the SW or in the calibration data for that specific device.

I ran some captures with a Pro 16 at 250 MSPS digital / 12.5 MSPS Digital. This is what typical alignment should look like:

Typical error between analog and digital should be less than one sample of the slower sample rate. In the case of 12.5 MSPS analog, that’s +/- 80ns.

The offsets in your screenshots are huge, almost 0.1 ms. Can you confirm that the first screenshot you posted of the problem, where channel A8 is way behind D8, was recorded with 250 MSPS Digital & 12.5 MSPS Analog?

Lastly, have you tried the non-alpha software? Please let me know if you see the same problem in the production software: https://www.saleae.com/downloads/
The alignment error in the production software is typically slightly worse than the alpha software, but still approximately +/- 1 sample at the lower of the two sample rates.

If you see the same problem there, then the problem is likely the device’s calibration, and we should replace the unit for you. If you see the same problem in the production app, please either contact support or fill out the RMA form here: https://saleae-support.typeform.com/to/E8UPB7.
We ship replacements with return postage, so you don’t have to go without a unit while waiting for the replacement to arrive.

@sethnobaka Oh I missed the fact that this problem was viewstate dependent from your previous message. That rules out device calibration problems as a possibility. It sounds like this is a bug with rendering.

Could you tell me a little more about your capture settings? Have you observed this problem when not using the trigger? We will need to reproduce this issue here to fix it.

Please provide the following:

• were you recording with “Looping”, “Timer”, or “Trigger” mode?
  • if you used the trigger mode, could you estimate about how much time passed between starting the recording and when the trigger condition was met? (for example, you may have pressed start and then the trigger condition was met several seconds or minutes later)
  • If you were in the “trigger” mode, what did you have selected for “Capture duration after trigger”?
  • Did you use the “After stopping, trim to last X s”. feature? If so, what time value did you have selected?
  • what did you have selected for “Memory buffer size”?

Analyzer Bubbles Disappear above Traces

I’ve seen this before on a single channel, but now it is happening on at least two channels. The Analyzer is setup to decode 4 Async Serial channels. The table on the right is correct, but the bubbles above the traces are missing on at least two channels. I tried exiting and restarting, but they are still missing (on a new capture).

I created a .SAL file. If that would be helpful I’ll send it.

1 Like

Can you please share the .SAL file with us? here or via email
Thanks a lot!

Does appear to have a calibration problem. The host should not have problems accessing the internet and I tried the wget from my laptop (which definitely does not) and that host.

wget https://downloads.saleae.com/calibration/15563905993739284171.cal

–2020-02-24 20:35:57-- https://downloads.saleae.com/calibration/15563905993739284171.cal
Resolving downloads.saleae.com (downloads.saleae.com)… 13.225.230.63, 13.225.230.49, 13.225.230.114, …
Connecting to downloads.saleae.com (downloads.saleae.com)|13.225.230.63|:443… connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response… 403 Forbidden
2020-02-24 20:35:58 ERROR 403: Forbidden.

It has been sent via Email

1 Like

The offset problem stopped happening as previously described, so the screenshots are the only evidence I have. If I see it again, I’ll get that information.

It definitely was on “trigger” mode. The time between start and trigger would have been < 30 seconds. I might have been manually ending the capture, though.

I might have been in “trim to last X s”, but I’ve not had a lot of luck with that option so probably not. As an unrelated bug report, I just tried it again and it didn’t work right. I had trim to last two seconds and capture one second after the trigger, and it actually captured 5+ seconds and then deleted the trigger area. My current settings are 0-8 digital at 250 MS/s, 8-9 analog at 12.5 MS/s, Note I am running the saleae remotely (effectively via VNC), which at a minimum means no GPU acceleration and possibly other things not quite as fast.

Running Logic Alpha 2.2.4 on a fully upto date Manjaro Linux and I see my memory usage sky rocket when doing a live stream or trigger. I have the configured set to use a maximum of 2GB and it is currently at 6.0GB and the updates are really chunky. I have a Logic Pro 8 (connected over USB 3) with sample rate set to 250 MB/s.

why is this? I notice the backlog is almost 100s. Is that indicating that the application cannot keep up with the stream of data from the Saleae Logic Pro 8? Also noticed that channels 2, 3, and 5 show no data (though they would be mostly low signals)

Thanks @chris.peterson,

The application still has some huge performance problems. We just tackled two over the last day:

1. digital rendering had an ironic flaw where the performance would rapidly get worse and worse the longer you recorded a constant value signal (no transitions). 1 billion samples of digital 0 would take over 70 ms to render, on just one channel. Normally digital rendering is around 3-5 ms per channel, and there is a lot of improvement there. The digital rendering slow down generally makes the app feel pretty terrible.
    From your screenshot, I can see there are large sections of constant value data, so this next update should help a lot.

2. Session deletion and analyzer deletion performance. For captures with a non-trivial amount of protocol data, deleting the tab or removing an analyzer was so slow it would cause the front end to time out, resulting in all sorts of odd behaviour after that.

We’ll have both of these fixes in the next release, and we’re working on more improvements today.

On a side note, we’ve recently increased the performance of the test signal generators we’re using here. The software really chokes now that we’re producing over 200K SPI bytes per second. This should help us shake a lot of the bugs out and continue to improve performance.