Logic 2.1.5 (Alpha 17)

This is the 17th alpha release, 2.1.5. It’s a small release and contains some nice usability improvements, especially for timing markers.

We would love to hear your feedback on every release! Please reply here and share your experience - screen recordings are welcomed!

Windows
http://logic-io.s3.amazonaws.com/test-builds/Logic+Setup+2.1.5-master.exe

MacOS
http://logic-io.s3.amazonaws.com/test-builds/Logic-macOS-2.1.5-master.zip

Linux
http://logic-io.s3.amazonaws.com/test-builds/Logic-2.1.5-master.AppImage
The *.AppImage file will require execute permissions, e.g. chmod +x Logic-2.1.5-master.AppImage

Alpha Mailing List
Join the Alpha Users Mailing List to be notified about the next release!

Improvements & What’s new

• The channel labels on the left side are now collapsible, opening up more space for activities!
  • easily add timing marker pairs with Cmd/Ctrl+T (A single marker can now be added using Cmd/Ctrl+Shift+T).
  • Timing markers now support notes & colors!
  • Timing markers and pairs are now much easier to work with.
  • Double clicking a file on Windows and MacOS will now open it with our software.
  • Analyzer settings now display a (*) next to input channels that are required.
  • Minor changes to keyboard shortcuts (check the main menu -> keyboard shortcuts for details)
  • Added Ctrl/Cmd + n shortcut to create a new tab
  • Automatically enable “trim after capture” and “glitch filer” when editing the value.

Click the head of a timing marker to edit.

Click the “<” button above the channel labels to collapse them.

Required Analyzer channels are marked with a (*). Other channels can be set to ‘None’ to indicate unused.

1 Like

Idea about the Alpha - It’s a GUI change
Once I told a college it’s just a new GUI, he was convinced, to give it a try!

Some developers might be scared about the fact that this version is a alpha. Thy should be, it’s a alpha, sure. But, this is a “new GUI alpha” not a “new Core / USB alpha”. The core-part is (as fare as I know) untouched. The detail, that this is “Only a new GUI - Version”, could reside at more prominent place. It looks to me like this is a detail which matters to the majority of programmers, when they are tempted to try the new alpha but are unsure if they can trust it at least for a bit.
Glitches in the GUI can be excused, but glitches in the sampling process cause deeper trouble.

It’s not just a GUI change, but almost a completely new software that will be significantly better than the old one, on all fronts - processing, features, ease of use and more.

Some parts of it are based on the legacy software such as the sampling process, and we are putting a lot of effort in ensuring that the data is reliable, as this is the basis for everything else.

I noticed that when the timing marker comment is edited, when you try to insert any character in the middle of the string, the cursor jumps to the end of the string.

Also, when zooming in on a signal at for example the 2 seconds mark, as you advance on the zoom, it will become 1s : 999ms, then 1s : 999ms : 999us, and finally 2s : 0ms : 0 us. When it is at 1s : 999ms, if you look at the previous major mark, it will also display 1s : 999ms while the next major mark displays 2s : 1ms.

On another note, I’d like to add a couple of requests:

1. save the analyzers tab settings;
  2. ability to format the way time is displayed on timing pairs, I find it a bit unpleasant the 1 ms : 64 us : 215 ns format.

Great work by the way on the alpha! It is very exciting to see the progress!

1 Like

the cursor jumps to the end of the string

Next version of markers is coming out next week, we’ll have that fixed by then :slight_smile:

when zooming in on a signal at for example the 2 seconds mark, as you advance on the zoom, it will become 1s : 999ms…

We’ll look into that.

save the analyzers tab settings;

It’s on our roadmap, though we don’t have a timeline yet. I added it to our new feature requests board:
https://ideas2.saleae.com/b/feature-requests/
You’re welcome to vote :slight_smile:

ability to format the way time is displayed on timing pairs

We also find it a bit unpleasant tbh. The new format will be just a simple number with thin spaces between every three decimal points, e.g. 1.234 232 232 s

Thanks for the feedback, it’s super helpful!

Oh man. This just keeps getting better and better.

Small bug: Enable digital channels 1-8. Capture some data. All good. Now you want to add an I2C analyzer on digital channels 9 and 10. So turn on 9 and 10, then try to add I2C to them. Nope - they’re not available in the SDA or SCL drop downs for the I2C analyzer. I would expect them to be.

Of course, if you go and capture any amount of data with channels 9 and 10 active, THEN try to add I2C on them, it works fine.

*Brian

I have been using the logic heavily, I really want to stay on Ilogic if it does not crash frequently…
OK, for iLogc2, I would like to request for some features I have been heavily using in iLogic but currently not supported in iLogic2

1. Double click to zoom in.
  2. Use number 1,2,3,4 to add and select the cursors automatically.
  3. One click to select the cursor, and one click to drop it. currently it requires the user to hold the click to move the cursor, which is not very nice to use.

One feature that does not exist at iLogic1 or 2 but nice to have
Add horizontal(voltage) cursor support for analog trace

Thanks! We’re happy to hear that.

It’s not exactly a bug :slight_smile:
Once you add an analyzer we try to run it on the existing data as we don’t have “disabled” analyzers at the moment. Therefore, we can’t let you add an analyzer on these channels if you already captured some that in that tab.

I’ll add that to our new feature requests board

I’m sorry that it crashes frequently. I believe that your experience with Logic2 will be much better over time! :slight_smile:

We can add the double click to zoom. That would be easy.
In regards to the markers, a new version will be released next week. I’d love to get your feedback and hear if those features are still missing.

Add horizontal(voltage) cursor support for analog trace

I’m not sure that I understand your request. Can you please elaborate?

Thanks a lot for the feedback, it’s super helpful!

I found interesting bug in 2.1.5 related to changing height of channels view:

1. Setup Logic software to capture at least 2 analog channels
  2. After capture complete, change height of any channel
  3. Click on “Set all channels height to current”
  4. See that other channels range is increased out of Saleae Logic measurement range, but -10…+10 range still in old scale.

Hope it will be helpful.

1 Like

It’s helpful :slight_smile:
We’ll fix it, thanks!

Hi Rani

Great to hear you back, and I am certainly happy to try out the new release in the future.

For the cursor I mentioned, it can also be called as Marker, Cursor is a more popular word in the Oscillator scope.

The ask is basically to have something telling the user what are the analog voltage values from a to b.

Here are the 2 possible UI I am visioning(Plan 2 is personally preferred, but may ask for more work)

Plan 1: Add analog voltage value to the marker/s

Plan 2: Add horizontal(voltage) markers, and list out the values at the markers’ bucket.

1 Like

I2C Analyzer Colors

I have two I2C analyzers enabled. Changing the colors of the text between them is great. However, for the second analyzer, the text is white on an orange background. At least for me, this is hard to read. I’d prefer black text on the lighter backgrounds - like orange. Or, allow me to pick the colors. Maybe it is just that my eyes are getting older and I have issues seeing the contract between two light colors.

1 Like

There is a glitch (I’m not sure in which version it has been introduced) with the analysers. Sorry if it has already been reported, as I haven’t had the opportunity to use the alpha series for a while:

1. SPI analyzer configured for digital channels 0/1/2 (sclk, mosi, /cs)
  2. Add a new digital channel (3)
  3. Add a new async serial/uart analyzer. Only channels 0 to 2 are selectable, channel 3 does not appear in the list

workaround: run a dummy capture session, get back to the analyzer settings, channel 3 is now available; i.e. it looks like it is not possible to analyze a channel for which no capture has yet been performed.

Update: I clicked on the “Terminal” button, and deselected it, and now the “Start” button seems to stay disabled for ever. Weird.

Sorry, I am not sure if this should go here on in wish list stuff.

I know I mentioned earlier about USB capture stuff, (USB LS/FS analyzer) and mentioned, that I wish I had more control over what things that showed up in the decoded protocol and later output reports.

I use this analyzer when working with Teensy 3.6/4.0 USB host code support. Often when I wish to help support a different USB Mouse or Keyboard, Joystick, Serial Adapter,… Often times I try to analyze the communications that happen when you plug that device into some host that supports it, and then compare it what my code is doing and iterate until I get something working.

Often times, I will start up a capture and then plug the device in and let it run for maybe 15 seconds, with Logic 1 I would then export all of the data to a csv file and then try to extract the relevant data. The initial output file could be at times something like 50000 lines long sometimes millions of lines. Often times I could reduce this down to a few hundred lines that I might actually want to look at.

Some details about what I would do, is up in the thread: https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/55457-How-to-do-multiple-REGEX-search-and-replace-operations-in-large-file.

When I do this, I am mostly interested in those lines that have DATA associated with it, plus a line or two before and after. I tried a lot of the reduction using sublimetext editing, but found that part was slow, so I would take the file to a unix board and use grep.
In the above mentioned thread, I had a capture that output > 3 million lines.

The linux command

grep -B1 ",DATA" USB_Capture_WIndows_XBoxOne_Pair_packets2.txt > u2

Reduced this down to 2066 lines. then in sublime text I used a regular expression search and replace:

Search: ".*\b(IN|OUT|SETUP),0x[0-9]*,(.*)\n.*DATA[0-1],,,(.*\n)"
Replace:  "$1,$2,$3"

Also also another one that replaced multiple ,'s with a , (may have to run it a few times)
Which in this case brought the file down to 689 lines.

When I then bring the file into excel it was a lot easier to look at, starting like:

SETUP	0x00	0x05		0x00 0x01 0x01 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00
IN	0x00	0x05	0x0000	
SETUP	0x00	0x05		0x20 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x04 0x00
OUT	0x00	0x05		0x59 0x0C 0x01 0x00
IN	0x00	0x05	0x0000	
IN	0x01	0x13		0x0E 0x04 0x01 0x59 0x0C 0x00
SETUP	0x00	0x05		0x20 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x08 0x00
OUT	0x00	0x05		0x01 0x04 0x05 0x33 0x8B 0x9E 0x05 0x00
IN	0x00	0x05	0x0000	
IN	0x01	0x13		0x0F 0x04 0x00 0x01 0x01 0x04
SETUP	0x00	0x05		0x20 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x0A 0x00
OUT	0x00	0x05		0x0B 0x20 0x07 0x01 0x12 0x00 0x12 0x00 0x00 0x00
IN	0x00	0x05	0x0000	
IN	0x01	0x13		0x0E 0x04 0x01 0x0B 0x20 0x00
SETUP	0x00	0x05		0x20 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x05 0x00
OUT	0x00	0x05		0x0C 0x20 0x02 0x01 0x00

Again I know that this is probably a wish list like thing, but thought I would mention it here, to see may if this analyzer has any plans to be enhanced, with maybe the idea of the ability to better chose the data you wish to see both in the reports as well as in the decoded protocol window.

Thanks

Thanks a lot for the detailed explanation!

Are you interested in the voltage at the time of the marker or in the average/max/min voltages between the markers?
The reason I’m asking is that we’re currently working on the advanced measurement tool that will allow you to generate different metrics for a selected region. You’d be able to get the average/max/min voltages or write your own metric in Python.

By the way, you’re welcome to add option 2 to our new feature requests page if you’d like:

I’ll ask our designer to find a more readable color.

In addition, I added your idea to our new feature requests page, you’re welcome to vote for it :slight_smile:
https://ideas2.saleae.com/b/feature-requests/allow-users-to-select-analyzers-color