Decoded bubble for raw waveform

Hi,

Is it possible to have the ability to add decoded bubble for raw waveform without any analyzer. This is useful to troubleshoot unknown or odd protocol. Currently, I have to use marker as bubble/note and I also attached a sample Spectrum Analyzer’s capture which has the ability to decode raw waveform and copy the binary or hex data to clipboard for further manual analysis.

Thanks.

@Bladerunner Can you explain a bit more about your requirement below?

Is it possible to have the ability to add decoded bubble for raw waveform without any analyzer. This is useful to troubleshoot unknown or odd protocol.

For example, what kind of data are you decoding, and how would you like the decoded bubbles to display your data? Are you looking for a way to “auto-detect” your data and have our software take care of selecting the correct analyzer?

Feel free to also attach your capture file (.sal format) as that might help give me an idea of the data you are decoding.

In case this helps, exporting raw data (without any analyzers) can be performed via the method below:

Looking forward to hearing back.

Hi timreyes,

Thanks for the response.

If I don’t select any Analyzer e.g. I2C, SPI or Async Serial, Logic 2 won’t able to decode and thus no decoded bubble above the waveform (see the attached capture file). In RF e.g. 433 ISM band, there are many transmission do not follow any protocol like UART or Manchester due to the noise. In this situation, I wish Logic 2 can demodulate the symbol base on 0 (LO, -ve) and 1 (HI, +ve) in raw waveform like some Oscilloscope or Spectrum Analyzer did (See my previous screenshot attachment). With the Symbol table, I can quickly export table text editor to manually decode based on the specification from the microcontroller.

Note : I have tried to use Logic 2 Export Raw Data to CSV just give me 1010101010101010… which is not according to the waveform.

FS1000A R433 1MS per second.sal (2.3 KB)

@Bladerunner Thanks for sharing this with us. I don’t think we have a pre-installed analyzer that can help with this, but it might be possible to create a custom analyzer below:

I’m not quite familiar with RF band/433 ISM band decoding requirements but I’ll double check with the team here to get their thoughts on this.

Thanks Tim,

I just use my DSO and Spectrum Analyzer to decode it and it take too much time for programming.

It is strange that Logic 2 does not have this low level simple binary decoding (HI & LO) which it has been a core function since Logic Analyzer predecessor, i.e. Logic Probe.

Do you have plan to add Synch Serial?

Regards,

@Bladerunner In the .sal capture file you sent over, you added timing markers with decoded data shown. Would you mind letting me know how exactly you are decoding the data?

For example, like in the image below, and perhaps for some of the other timing markers you added in there. This might give me a better idea of whether or not decoding this would be possible, perhaps via a custom analyzer via your protocol analyzer sdk like I mentioned earlier.

Finally, can you share what you mean by Synch Serial? Do you mean serial data with a clock? We do have our Simple Parallel Analyzer which you can try out. It will sample data on a data channel on a clock edge (set to either rising or falling). You can set however many channels you would like to decode in parallel.

@Bladerunner The below makes sense though. This looks pretty straightforward.
Screen Shot 2021-05-29 at 11.07.21 AM

If the above image is the type of decoding that you need (i.e. simply decoding 1s and 0s), then our Async Serial analyzer would be the closest solution.

You can modify our Async Serial Analyzer using our SDK below:

What you would need to do is remove the requirement for stop bits and start bits (which it seems your data doesn’t need. You’d also need to add support for detecting specific items such as the preamble and the data bit lengths (it seems like it varies).

With regards to the Parallel Analyzer I recommended earlier, that might not actually be the best solution in hindsight for decoding multiple channels, since it will combine data from multiple channels and treat it as a parallel bus. The Parallel Analyzer might only work if you are only analyzing a single data channel, but even then, the decoding that it performs might be too simple for your needs (i.e. just decodes 1s and 0s, one bit at a time).

Hi Tim,

Sorry for late reply.

Yes, I used Asynch Serial but as you highlighted the start/stop bit caused the bit shift on the simple binary (1 & 0) stream. I was also asking about the Synch Serial because I was trying to overcome this by feeding in a clock signal (which I can furnish from Arb) to synch (external trigger) with the message. OR alternatively I can use Logic Pro internal (selectable) clock speed as reference on another channel.

In nutshell, I was trying to use Logic Pro to decode the raw binary stream where a lot of wireless IoT uses their proprietary encoding method not found in Logic Pro’s analyzers. Once I get the binary symbol into Logic Pro’s “Decoded Bubble” (that was my original question), I can export the data to excel and work on the data structure based on the respective specification.

Thanks for your responses and I will look into the SDK when I have time to code.

Regards,

1 Like