Alpha 9

I would love to hear from you! Any feedback is helpful – please reply to this thread or start a new one!

This release adds:

• Support for settings ‘Presets’ (UI location is temporary)
  • New UI/UX for capture settings (work in progress)
  • UI updates for sidebars and Tabs
  • Trigger working
  • Linux should fully work (fixed all known dependency issues)

Low expectations please: This alpha is rough, unstable, and lacks crucial functionality.

Linux:

http://logic-io.s3.amazonaws.com/test-builds/Logic-2.0.6-master.AppImage

The .AppImage file will require execute permissions, e.g. chmod +x Logic-2.0.6-master.AppImage

MacOS:

http://logic-io.s3.amazonaws.com/test-builds/Logic-darwin-x64-2.0.6-master.zip

Windows:

http://logic-io.s3.amazonaws.com/test-builds/squirrel.windows/x64/Logic-2.0.6-master%20Setup.exe

Alpha Mailing List

Join the Alpha Users Mailing List to be notified about the next release!

Major known issues

• Tabs, capture UI/UX, & Presets will be further refactored
  • ‘Scope View’ needs UX improvement
  • Location of “hamburger menu” is awkward. Will be moved to top-right.
  • I2C analyzer hangs the software

Coming up next

• Protocol analyzer search / list view
  • Protocol analyzer export
  • Proper settings persistence
  • Scope View UI/UX refactor

Planned for this Quarter (Q3)

• Analyzer Sequence Search
  • Context-sensitive help
  • Proper shortcuts
  • Delete channels
  • Trim capture
  • Wall-clock time display
  • analog/digital proper alignment
  • Analog channel v2
  • App performance metrics
  • Sidebar resize and collapse
  • Auto-update
  • Digital Scope-View
  • Trigger-on-Analog
  • Scope-View v2
  • Performance improvements
  • Comprehensive USB reliability testing (internal)
  • Themes
  • Art updates / polish

FYI had to run the appImage under Debian Buster with the --no-sandbox option in order to make it run. Otherwise I receive the The SUID sandbox helper binary was found error. Maybe I’m missing something though.

Hi decipherstatic - thank you for the help, and welcome!

I don’t have a solution yet, but I do see some reference to this issue online. We should be able to test on Debian later today, and I’ll let you know what the situation is.

Joe

1 Like

The Start Demo button no longer works on macOS!

There are still issues with readability. The colour line on the channel should be larger, and so should be the ticks for the selected channels.

The previous iteration with selected channels on white was easier to read.

1 Like

I’m just dropping in to say that the new appimage Alpha 9 works fine for me on Kubuntu 19.04. I like the new look of the app! Obviously there are still lots of sharp edges and I wish I could load my old captures from 1.2.29 but I guess I can’t yet. But, it looks pretty nice and it seems to operate fairly well. I haven’t tried hooking up my original run Logic (8 digital, no analog) device. But, initial testing looks pretty nice. I’m starting to consider that maybe I ought to upgrade my hardware too. :wink: I think I was one of the first people to get a logic eons ago when you all were starting out. So, I’m eying the newer stuff with envy. It might just influence me and the other old timers to upgrade! I think I need analog measurements in my future.

Thank you Rei!

The Trigger isn’t valid, that’s why the Start button is not enabled. Of course, this is a UX issue. Will resolve.

We will continue to iterate on the readability!

Thanks Collin, appreciated.

Agreed. Lots of rough edges. Imo it’s quite difficult to use in several ways. But we are working on it!

We’ve found that our v1 architecture for the back-end data processing is not optimal in a number of respects and it’s been slowing us down. The good news is that the rest of the application development is fast – enormously better than the current-generation software.

In a few months it should be awesome to use with the newer analog products! Right now the ‘Scope View’ can be frustrating to use. Working the issues!

Hi decipherstatic,
Thanks for the details. I’ve just added code to the AppRun script inside of our AppImage to detect if the system does not support sandboxing and displays a message in the console before adding --no-sandbox to the electron app command line.
Our solution is largely borrowed from here:

This fix will be in the next alpha release.
Thanks again for reporting it!