Alpha 14

Linux i7 Nuc with SDD Alpha 14

Widows 2008 Server 3 Monitors system. Never get a GUI This is the same issue as on Alpha 13-

We haven’t tested the app on Windows 2008 server yet, my apologies :pensive:
It’s on our roadmap

Hey David,
Does it happen every time? Even when you’re using the simulation (demo) device?

Windows Server 2008 extended(!!!) support ends on 14 January 2020. Is it a good idea to waste your time supporting old OS? Even Microsoft will not publish any updates for it in 3 weeks…
But if the issue is related to 3 monitors and not to OS, that it is another question :slight_smile:
Just IMHO

Hi Rani, Yes with HW connected. Not in demo mode.

I agree. We currently test the app on macOS 10.15, Windows 10 and Ubuntu 18.04. Our plan is to test the app on more platform and re-evaluate our support for some of them.

Which device do you have? Is it connected via USB2 or USB3? It might be a buffering issue

istributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 19.10
Release: 19.10
Codename: eoan

My Bad Not an I7!

model name : Intel® Core™ i3-4010U CPU @ 1.70GHz

USB3----->Logic 16 Pro

No Hub

Hi David, on the ubuntu machine, could you send us the output of lspci -k? I’d like to take a quick look at what usb 3.0 host controller(s) your machine uses.

With regards to windows 2008, I believe that is the same problem we’re seeing on Windows 7. I haven’t had a chance to look into it yet.

Hi @markgarrison, here it is.

$ lspci -k
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT DRAM Controller (rev 09)
Subsystem: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT DRAM Controller
Kernel driver in use: hsw_uncore
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
DeviceName: CPU1
Subsystem: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller
Kernel driver in use: i915
Kernel modules: i915
00:03.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT HD Audio Controller (rev 09)
Subsystem: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT HD Audio Controller
Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
Kernel modules: snd_hda_intel
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series USB xHCI HC (rev 04)
Subsystem: Intel Corporation 8 Series USB xHCI HC
Kernel driver in use: xhci_hcd
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series HECI #0 (rev 04)
Subsystem: Intel Corporation 8 Series HECI
Kernel driver in use: mei_me
Kernel modules: mei_me
00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection I218-V (rev 04)
DeviceName: ILAN
Subsystem: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection I218-V
Kernel driver in use: e1000e
Kernel modules: e1000e
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 8 Series HD Audio Controller (rev 04)
DeviceName: AUDIO1
Subsystem: Intel Corporation 8 Series HD Audio Controller
Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
Kernel modules: snd_hda_intel
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series USB EHCI #1 (rev 04)
Subsystem: Intel Corporation 8 Series USB EHCI
Kernel driver in use: ehci-pci
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 8 Series LPC Controller (rev 04)
Subsystem: Intel Corporation 8 Series LPC Controller
Kernel driver in use: lpc_ich
Kernel modules: lpc_ich
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series SATA Controller 1 [AHCI mode] (rev 04)
Subsystem: Intel Corporation 8 Series SATA Controller 1 [AHCI mode]
Kernel driver in use: ahci
Kernel modules: ahci
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 8 Series SMBus Controller (rev 04)
Subsystem: Intel Corporation 8 Series SMBus Controller
Kernel driver in use: i801_smbus
Kernel modules: i2c_i801

With regards to windows 2008, I believe that is the same problem we’re seeing on Windows 7. I haven’t had a chance to look into it yet.

Yes that would make sense. I really am excited about the 2.xx version because sadly, this 2008 server (ASUS P9X79-E WS LGA i7) machine that only version 1.2.3 of the SW will run with the Logic 16 Pro. It will however crash often. But it at least it does not fail with the “can keep up” instantly. I recently looked the USB registry entries to see if there any filters and were added by say USBpcap or the windows Microsoft Message Analyzer. I did not see any.

Any other ideas where to look?

I really like how the new Saleae Logic software is shaping!
But there are some things which, in my opinion are quite irritating after using the software for a longer period of time.

1. If you first use the software with hand gestures on the touchpad it takes some time to figure out how for example to zoom out or in and how to do other things. Maybe also add these hand gesture commands to your newly introduced “keyboard shortcut help menu” maybe under another tab?
  2. Again about hand gestures: The way you increase/decrease the analog capture is way too sensitive and it always takes the location from the current cursor position which makes it even more difficult to position the signal as you want. There is no way to do this without a mouse. And it would be awesome if you could “grab” the signal with the mouse/touchpad and position it that way by dragging it up and down instead of (with a mouse) press Ctrl + mouse wheel and the current cursor position.
  3. If you decode for example I2C and view your results in the Decoded Protocols area and you want to jump to a specific package you always have to click the little upcoming arrow instead of just double clicking the package. It would be so much more comfortable to just double click to jump to the specific package. See the attached screenshot

First of all, thanks! :slight_smile:

1. Good idea, we’ll add that.

2. I’m not sure that I understand - are you trying to zoom vertically on the signal? What exactly is too sensitive? You can move the signal vertically by clicking on Ctrl/Cmd and while dragging the mouse if it helps.

3. We can do that, however, the double-click is currently used for selecting the content (value/time). Would you like both to happen simultaneously?

Thanks a lot for the feedback!

1. I’ve uploaded a video to visually show what I mean with the vertical zoom and its speed problem. I’m only moving my fingers around 5mm and it already changes drastically.
    https://youtu.be/DabHafnZCBQ
    Thank you for the tip with Ctrl while dragging, I only tried dragging. Maybe also add such things to the shortcut help panel (when you use keyboard and the mouse)?

2. Thats a difficult question. I dont use the double-click to select/copy specific content because it pastes it so weirdly (color frame and not the same font as the current in the document) for example into Microsoft Word or Excel (see attached screenshot).
    Maybe use Ctrl + mouse click to jump to packages?

1. Thanks for sharing the video. Which computer and OS are you using (I just tested it on Mac and it seems to be working fine)? Are you using a mouse or a touchpad?
    We’ll add all of the gestures to the keyboard shortcuts menu.
    I also noticed that the real-time view is very unstable in your video (blank screen). It should be fixed in one of the next releases.

2. This should be easy to add.
    A small tip - you can paste without formatting using cmd/ctrl + shift + v.

Thanks a lot for the feedback!

1. I’m using your software on a Surface Book 1 Performance Base with Windows 10 version 1909 and I just used the on board touchpad to shrink/enhance the signal with two fingers.

I also noticed that the real-time view is very unstable in your video (blank screen). It should be fixed in one of the next releases.

Thats nice to hear! I didn’t really knew if this was an issue or not but good to know.

A small tip - you can paste without formatting using cmd/ctrl + shift + v.

Never heard of that before but this makes the select/copy much more usable :smile: Thank you!

1 Like

We have a Surface laptop at the office, I’ll give it a try tomorrow.

Thanks @thuzerland, good catch! The older 1.x software displayed the device IDs in hex, while the alpha software is currently displaying them in base 10.

@markp, I’d like to get the automatic calibration download problem fixed. Do any of the following apply to your computer?

• connected to a network with a company firewall, or have non-microsoft firewall software installed.
  • a proxy server is used for internet access
  • you were using the software while your computer was off-line
    Also, is there anything else you can think of that might interrupt regular internet traffic from your computer or programs on your computer?

Our software sends one web request to a webservice we run to get the download URL for the calibration file, then it downloads it, converts it to a newer format used by the alpha software, and then saves it in %APPDATA%\Logic\calibrations. This is a little different from the 1.X software, which downloaded the file and then saved it unmodified to %APPDATA%\Saleae LLC\Logic\Calibration.

I need to double check to see if manually downloading the calibration file will work at all for the alpha software - it might not support loading the original file format from the calibrations directory.

If it’s working now, it’s possible that it was just able to successfully download the calibration file from our website, rather than using the manually downloaded file.

• Mark

Hi Mark,

Answers to your questions:

· connected to a network with a company firewall, or have non-microsoft firewall software installed.

Connected to a (home) network, no company firewall. Norton software firewall as part of the Norton security suite is running on computer, but it has not complained.

·

· a proxy server is used for internet access

No

·

· you were using the software while your computer was off-line

No

Also, is there anything else you can think of that might interrupt regular internet traffic from your computer or programs on your computer?

Nope. It is pretty simple.

I looked in the %APPDATA%\Logic\calibrations directory and there is a file in there named 9873898612096873938-1478592717000-1.cal and a timestamp of 8/25/2019. That may be about the time I started using the Alpha software, I’m not sure. So it appears to have a cal file. I didn’t manually download it. It still has the issue of complaining about not having a cal file the first time the Logic is plugged in. After that is OK.

The %APPDATA%\Saleae LLC\Logic\Calibration directory has a file named 9873898612096873938.cal and is dated 8/8/2019. That file name is not in HEX either. The timestamp on that file is about the time I started using this (new) computer, so it is probably correct.

(other) Mark

I just realized that you used the “pinch” interaction with two fingers. We actually never implemented it, and it’s more of a side effect :slight_smile:
To zoom in vertically, you should use Ctrl+scroll up or down. We should have added that to the keyboard shortcuts menu. Sorry…