Logic 2.3.16

I want to personally apologize for not replying earlier. I missed your last reply.
@timreyes who runs our support will take it from here. He’s more reliable than me :slight_smile:

@toncho11 Sorry you’ve had to force 4 cores under the Affinity settings all this time…

Very recently, we made several changes under the hood of the software, including some performance improvements when handling large amounts of data.

Would you mind giving it a try on your PC and capture file? It is v2.3.17 below:
https://ideas.saleae.com/f/changelog/

The HDD usage should not change since the previous version, so you might still have your PC lock up assuming this was indicative of a HDD or CPU bottleneck limitation on your end.

In case 2.3.17 doesn’t help at all, we’ll need to go back to the drawing board, or at least do a much better job of setting proper expectations on minimum hardware requirements and HDD usage when using analyzers on large datasets. As Rani mentioned previously, 5GB usage for 19 million results wasn’t out of the ordinary based on our testing. Can you let us know the following?

• What version of Windows are you running, and is it 32-bit or 64-bit?
  • Can you give some details on your PC specs?
  • For the tests below, you can use the same capture file you sent to us previously for repeatability.
  • Have you noticed by any chance if the progress bar was updating while your HDD/CPU usage was high? (From Rani’s question previously)
  • How long does it take for the progress bar to complete on your PC?
  • Once the progress bar is complete (i.e. Simple Parallel has finished processing), are you still seeing excessive HDD/CPU usage?
  • Can you give some details on the amount of free RAM and HDD space while Logic 2 is processing the Simple Parallel data? Does it look like you’re topping out anywhere?

Finally, we were keeping note of your download link to easily access your file across our team without having to save local copies. It seems your download link expired. Would you mind re-activating your link or sharing a new one? We’ll make sure to save it locally this time to avoid this issue again.
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsoOXKPKfQ6Fgtlw3A3gFQuljDhWvA

Looking forward to getting to the bottom of this asap.

I am reluctant to lock up my PC again :). I think I might have lost the file.

What I suggest is:

• For the performance enhancements to somehow to make sure 1 CPU core is always spared by Logic 2. Maybe this can be done programmatically or similar to my solution.

• Or create a configuration option in a file such as “Parallel IO Processing = false” to be used for everyone with this problem.

• If many values are detected in a file, it is clear that a human won’t be able to inspect them. So there can be an option saying process only the first 1000, instead of 1 000 000.

Hope this helps.

@toncho11 Thanks for the suggestions. I’ll review these with the software team here. For your point #3 below:

If many values are detected in a file, it is clear that a human won’t be able to inspect them. So there can be an option saying process only the first 1000, instead of 1 000 000.

Does the “Delete Data” feature help? See below:

With this, you can save a copy of your original capture, then create a copy of that capture with its captured data length essentially trimmed down for efficiency of decoding.