Is there any way to use rising edge/falling edge for trigger view?

Hello !
I am very grateful for the logic analyzer from saleae.
Thanks to the aid of LogicPro16, my work is progressing.

I have a question about using Logic2 software.

I would like to use the “trigger view” to trigger the rise of a certain digital channel.
but, I could not find a way to use the rising edge falling edge as a trigger.
Specifically, I want to do something like the video in this tweet.

In this video, the SPI signal is used for the trigger view.
However, this is not actually an SPI signal. In order to use the trigger view, I lied and made it be recognized as an SPI signal.

Perhaps I am looking in the wrong place, is there a solution?

@lovyan03 Thanks for writing in! It looks like you need to trigger on a simple rising edge or falling edge, is that correct?

If so, this feature is described below, located under the section titled “Trigger Mode - Edge & Pulse Triggering”.

Hope this is what you needed!

1 Like

Hello @timreyes !
Thanks for answering my question !
But unfortunately, capturing in trigger mode doesn’t seem to be the feature I want.

Can you see the video of my tweets ?
What I want is to use capture in loop mode and have it run endlessly, but with a holdoff of 100msec so that the edge of the trigger signal always appears in the same position.

I think the trigger view feature is closest to what I want, but this feature seems to work based on analyzer results.
If there is a simple analyzer that just recognizes certain signals as LOW=0/HIGH=1, I believe it would work as I desire.

@lovyan03 Ah, sorry for my previous misunderstanding! I see what you mean now.

Unfortunately, the same repeated trigger view is not currently possible with simple digital edges. This is a feature that’s been highly requested, however, we haven’t had a chance to prioritize implementing it.

We’re currently tracking this feature request in the link below:

Sorry again we don’t have an immediate solution for you. I did however add a comment for you so that we can refer back to your request in this forum post here in case we want to use the notes you’ve provided, or in case we need to contact you for more information. Feel free to add your vote to it as well in case you wanted to receive any status updates via email with regards to this idea post! We’ll keep an eye on user interest in this idea for now before we commit it to the roadmap.

As for your other request:

Can you confirm if the feature request in the forum post below is what you were looking for?

1 Like

Thank you @timreyes for your thoughtful response !
I am a little disappointed that I cannot solve the problem right now, but since you say that there are many similar requests, I will wait and see if it will eventually be implemented.

I was also thinking that perhaps I could create my own plugin for the analyzer and use it for the trigger view, but it is not that simple, is it?

@lovyan03 If you have extensive experience with C++, you can certainly create your own analyzer to perform this!

We provide our Protocol Analyzer SDK and documentation in the link below, including source code for all of our pre-installed analyzers which you can use as reference.

1 Like

@lovyan03 After looking for some potential starting points / solutions, I came across a community created analyzer below that comes close to what you need.

They readily provide the .dll file required for installation to the Logic 2 app, found inside analyzer.zip below.

Installation of the .dll file can be found in the support article here.

I ran a quick test of this analyzer. Here is an image of it in running on random digital transitions.

The analyzer was configured for a single channel. However, there are some limitations with this approach.

1. The data frame (either ‘0’ or ‘1’) will span from the current edge that it is looking at, all the way to the next edge as you can see in the image above. The analyzer might need to be modified to end the frame at a fixed distance after the edge occurs, rather than waiting for the next edge.
  2. Trigger View is only readily supported for certain pre-installed analyzers. We discuss this in more detail below. This means that custom analyzers, including pre-installed analyzers that are not listed as readily supported, will not immediately work with Trigger View. This is due to our Trigger View relying on a new low level analyzer framing format that we call “frame v2.” Only a handful of analyzers support “frame v2” at the moment, and these are the analyzers that work with Trigger View. I’ve provided some support articles below that share more details on this limitation, as well as documentation on FrameV2 should you decide to implement it into the Simple Parallel No Clock analyzer that I shared above.
1 Like

@timreyes
Thanks for sharing that interesting info!

I tried it out right away. Indeed, this is the same functionality I imagined.
If this plugin is now compatible with frame v2, can it be used with triggered views?

@lovyan03 You’re welcome! The plugin will need to be updated to use the new “Frame V2” API. We provide some guidelines for this below. Our Trigger View relies on resuls produce by the “Frame V2” API.

1 Like

Thanks for the detailed info!
And, thanks for releasing the SDK and specs that allow users to extend the functionality as well.
I will stay busy for a while, but will eventually try to create a plugin using FrameV2.

1 Like