Expose device serialnumber to the analyzers

Hi folks,

Sometimes it would be useful to include the used devices serial number in the analyzers to being able to print it to the exported data. For both HLAs and C++ analyzers. I know the later is a side-slip nowadays, however I saw that you added new features to the API recently for the V2.

Furthermore it would be useful to add API to the analyzers to being able to query if the analyzer is operating on captured or saved (and loaded) data. If the case is the later then API for querying the saved filename would be great (for offering the same export filename with different suffix or adding notes about the source file in the exported analyzer output).

Thanks for the ideas @martonmiklos! This feedback is great. We want to dramatically improve the API to support these in the future. Apologies these features aren’t available currently.

In the meantime, would you mind sharing some more information on your workflow and use case for these? This would be great for us to know as we start prioritizing what we work on next.

Hi @timreyes

Both enhancement came into my mind while implementing PEAK TRC export for the can analyzer plugin

The TRC file has a field where the device identifier is present and I thought that it would be useful to have the serial number of the capturing Logic device exported there (if there would be an API for querying that).

Regarding to the opened filename: when exporting something from analyzer sometimes it would be useful add the source file name as a reference (in a comment or in metadata or something like that).

And at the another hand it would be useful to provide an API to the LLAs to being able to suggest the export filename. Because input_filename.{extension} would make more sense (other than untitled.{extension}) in most cases I think.

@martonmiklos Wow, thank you so much for making that contribution to the CAN analyzer. I’ll have this reviewed by the team here. We’ll see if we can pull this into a future update and include it by default on all installations.

For your comments below, I think these are great. Everyone would certainly benefit from the added information, and for allowing a more useful default filename. Perhaps that would even allow the filenames to count upwards automatically (i.e. input_filename_1.{ext}, input_filename_2.{ext}, etc…). I’ll make sure to get these tracked on our ideas site (https://ideas.saleae.com/b/feature-requests/)

Regarding to the opened filename: when exporting something from analyzer sometimes it would be useful add the source file name as a reference (in a comment or in metadata or something like that).

And at the another hand it would be useful to provide an API to the LLAs to being able to suggest the export filename. Because input_filename.{extension} would make more sense (other than untitled.{extension}) in most cases I think.

As for the TRC file format, we’re not too familiar with it over here. Is it useful for your team in some specific way to include the serial number? I wanted to gather the specific need for this before we commit adding the ability to grab it via API to the roadmap. Otherwise, let us know as well if it’s simply a matter of “completing” the TRC file with it. That’s a valid use case too! Just want to be sure we understand your need correctly.

The TRC file has a field where the device identifier is present and I thought that it would be useful to have the serial number of the capturing Logic device exported there

Thanks again for all the useful info, and for your contribution to the CAN analyzer!

The device information is present in the comment section of the TRC file when generating with the PEAK tools. It is not a blocker feature for the implementation, it just a nice to have feature.

Generally speaking having meta information (like hostname, capture start timestamp) exposed to analyzers (and saved to the captured files) is always a good thing because it could help figuring out the circumstances from a capture file later (who made it when made it, which device, etc.)

Thanks! I added the idea for exposing meta information in the idea post below. We’ll track this feature request here in the meantime.
https://ideas.saleae.com/b/feature-requests/allow-hla-or-lla-to-query-logic-serial-number/

I plan to also discuss the idea of providing more useful export filenames with the team here. Thanks again for bringing that issue up and providing some potential ideas for implementation.