Device Disconnected Error

Hi,
I am using Saleae 16 channel, when capture started then immediately I am getting error like “An error occurred during capture: DeviceSetupFailure” and then Device disconnected.
Note: I am using USB hub (tp-link) 4 channel and I tried direct connection with laptop then also I am facing same issue.

@raveendranasuva Sorry to hear about this. I have some questions / tests for you below:

1. Which specific Saleae Logic model do you own? You can refer to the link below:
    How to Identify Each Saleae Device - Saleae Support

2. Can you try running the solutions in the article below?
    Error Message: DeviceSetupFailure - Saleae Support

3. How often are you seeing this error message? Does it appear every time you start a capture? Are you able to start any captures at all?

4. Are you able to test on another PC? This might help determine if your Logic itself is faulty if it fails in the same way on another PC.

Thanks for your response.

@raveendranasuva I’m glad to hear your Logic Pro 16 works OK on another PC. This points to some sort of incompatibility with your PC, and your Logic hardware seems like it’s OK.

My first hunch is that your USB host controller might have some conflicts with our Logic device. Specifically, we’ve seen this issue in the past when using our logic analyzer with Etron USB host controllers.

I’d like to request some information from you with regards to your PC. As such, it may be best to continue our discussion over email. Would you mind sending me a message using the below link?
https://contact.saleae.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

In your message, please include the following.

1. A link to this forum post so that I know it’s you.

2. Can you share your USB host controller information? Instructions below:
    Finding Your USB 3.0 Host Controller Information - Saleae Support

3. Can you share the make/model of your PC?

4. Have you tried all USB ports directly on your PC, including USB 2.0 ports? On USB 2.0, the number of channels and sampling rates will be limited, but I’m curious to know if you are able to capture successfully. For tests moving forward, please also ensure you connect directly to your PC.

5. Can you share your Machine ID with us?
    Sharing your Machine ID - Saleae Support

@timreyes ,
Thanks for your time and investigation,

1. Saleae directly connected to PC then its capturing only 8 channels and some times disconnecting the capture from Saleae (But I am using Lenovo Thinkpad L480 its having USB 3.0)
  2. Not working with 4 channel USB hub. (In USB hub only Saleae connected then 8 channel working fine, but along with some UART to USB port converter connected then capture disconnecting).

@raveendranasuva Thanks for the added information. My comments are below

1. Saleae directly connected to PC then its capturing only 8 channels and some times disconnecting the capture from Saleae (But I am using Lenovo Thinkpad L480 its having USB 3.0)

It looks like the Logic Pro 16 is somehow being identified as a USB 2.0 device. Have you tested connecting to all USB 3.0 ports, and is the behavior similar across all of them? I also notice that your laptop has USB-C ports. In case you have a USB-C to USB 3.0 micro adapter, it may be worth trying to connect to those ports as well.

1. Not working with 4 channel USB hub. (In USB hub only Saleae connected then 8 channel working fine, but along with some UART to USB port converter connected then capture disconnecting).

What USB hub model are you using? Unfortunately, we typically do not recommend using USB hubs alongside our logic analyzers for this reason. As such, I’d like to first make sure that we can get your logic analyzer running reliably while connected directly to your PC.

In the meantime, I’d like to gather the missing information I previously requested from my last message. Feel free to send that over using the link below, as it may require sending sensitive information.
https://contact.saleae.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

I’m having this same issue on Logic 2.3.36 and 2.3.39.

The software is not handling Linux USB drivers correctly. It seems the larger number of lines I sample, the faster the decay of the USB driver.

I’ve reproduced this behavior on two different Linux machines. One using Pop!_OS 21.04 (Lenovo), the other using Pop!_OS 20.04 (System76) both using a Logic Pro 16.

Not talking with USB correctly has also had other side effects - like not working with an ST-LINK debugger (not the issue here - the Logic Pro is the ONLY device plugged into my computer other than the power cord).

Instead of forcing us to debug it clumsily through a forum post, why don’t you download Linux (it’s free) and reproduce it yourself. This happens so commonly you should be able to reproduce it as often as you want and get to the bottom of it.

@Zak Sorry to hear this… my responses below:

The software is not handling Linux USB drivers correctly. It seems the larger number of lines I sample, the faster the decay of the USB driver.

Can you let me know more details about the issue you are seeing? Are all 16 channels accessible? Are you getting the same “DeviceSetupFailure” error during your capture that appears more commonly when more channels are enabled?

Not talking with USB correctly has also had other side effects - like not working with an ST-LINK debugger (not the issue here - the Logic Pro is the ONLY device plugged into my computer other than the power cord).

This is unfortunately a known issue, and the typical symptom is that the Logic won’t connect at all, unless a specific sequence order is followed upon connecting both devices. The workaround is highlighted below based on findings from customer reports:

Instead of forcing us to debug it clumsily through a forum post, why don’t you download Linux (it’s free) and reproduce it yourself. This happens so commonly you should be able to reproduce it as often as you want and get to the bottom of it.

That’s Completely understandable. Apologies for coming off that way… We typically prefer to gather some information first before jumping head first into installing an OS that we don’t officially support. Our officially supported OSes are here (Supported Operating Systems - Saleae Support). Regardless, should we decide to install a particular OS to run some tests, this is certainly possible!

Edit: I understand that Pop OS is in fact a dertivative of Ubuntu, which is promising! I’m just not familiar with the nuances of the difference.

@timreyes,

Thank you for the thoughtful response.

• Are all 16 channels accessible?

Yes, thank goodness.

• Are you getting the same “DeviceSetupFailure” error during your capture that appears more commonly when more channels are enabled?

When the device fails during a capture it has a different error, like a read error (I don’t exactly remember), then it will no longer attempt to make new captures and will always return the “DeviceSetupFailure” message.

I use the Logic Pro 16 for work, and I had to bang through the signal debugging by restarting my machine multiple times. I am into a different part of the project now, and unfortunately I don’t have time to review the workarounds at this time.

I would also like to point out that Ubuntu 18.04 is approaching end of life, and several of us have moved on to 20.04. The kernel has been significantly upgraded between the two and it is useful for several programming tasks. It would be nice to see it officially supported sooner than later.

I have owned my Logic Pro 16 since they were brand new (I believe I pre-ordered it). I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS DEVICE and Saleae in general. However, the recent USB problems have been nothing short of infuriating, because the device is failing me when I need it most. I end up spending my time debugging your software, instead of debugging my device under test. Not to mention, having to COMPLETELY REBOOT MY MACHINE to make USB functional again makes it almost impossible to use it in my workflow.

I have gotten to the point where I dread pulling out my Saleae. This is the complete opposite experience I used to have. I love my Logic Pro 16, I love signal watching, but my device is becoming unusable. Please dig in and figure this out.

Thank you for you time and thoughtful response.

@Zak Thanks for all these details. As a potential quick workaround for now, would you mind trying our older Logic 1.2.18 software below?

The reason I mention the older software is because the failures you have described look very similar to the issues that have been reported in the past on Apple’s new M1 processors. You’ll see the details of the behavior in the section below under “Our Test Results.” It seemed that the older Logic 1.x software was a viable workaround to this, and this may save you from the headaches of this error while we look into this.