Hi, I’m new to Saleae and started using the analyzer+software.
When capture in Looping Mode with 1 channel(ch0) UART analyzers and trigger on a Protocol Frame query 0x00 null character, Logic 2.3.19 runs out of memory while loading/analyzing the data.
I set Saleae software the memory buffer size to 500 MB, although Saleae software display the memory usage does not go above the set memory value of 500 MB during the continuous recording.
But PC will run out of memory while waiting for a trigger. The PC run out of memory resulted the Saleae software cannot continue to run.
It seems that the “Memory buffer size” limit settings are not working while waiting for the trigger.
I am running on a PC with a i5 3470, 32 GB of RAM. The 32 GB memory gets filled up.
Any idea how to load my capture?
@CHI-HSIANG This is certainly strange behavior. The memory buffer size setting should limit the amount of RAM that the Logic 2 software uses during a looping capture. What OS are you running, and can you describe the RAM usage behavior over time for the Logic 2 software?
Please also share your capture preset with me and I can try reproducing this on my end:
@timreyes Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry I try again is :
I set Saleae software the memory buffer size to 4 GB,
although Saleae software display the memory usage does not go above the set memory value of 4 GB during the continuous recording.
But after about 2 hours of continuous recording, the PC memory began to be slowly consumed.
I am running on Windows 7 Professional Edition 64 bits.
The following figure shows the memory usage after 17 hours.
Because the file is a bit big, upload it to google driver. Here is my capture preset, please refer to the link. memory buffer size 4GB.sal - Google Drive
Hi @CHI-HSIANG, thanks for your patience while we looked into your capture file and RAM usage analysis. After our review, we’ve determined this to be a bug. In summary, the memory buffer size setting in the software is not accurate. There are 2 reasons for this:
The memory buffer size setting doesn’t account for protocol analyzers (such as the Async Serial Analyzer that you’ve added).
The memory buffer size setting itself is not accurate, and therefore, you should specify a smaller number to hit your target.
For example, if you’d like to attempt using only 4GB of RAM, I would try the workarounds below:
- Remove your Async Serial analyzer, and add it only after the capture is complete
- Set the Memory Buffer Size setting to 2GB, instead of 4GB
We’ve got this on our bug backlog now. I hope the above solution works in the meantime.
Thank you for your feedback.